Thread: Oil Wt s & Brands?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Oil Wt s & Brands?

Have been using Mobil 1 15-50 Extended Performance. Seems like the available weights have been reduced/no longer available. Castrol Sytec seems to have more options for wt 10-40. Mobil seems to be now limited to 10-30 5-30 Now Castrol has the "edge" now available?
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

Quote Originally Posted by tdw6974 View Post
    Have been using Mobil 1 15-50 Extended Performance. Seems like the available weights have been reduced/no longer available. Castrol Sytec seems to have more options for wt 10-40. Mobil seems to be now limited to 10-30 5-30 Now Castrol has the "edge" now available?
    Tom...you didn't say if it was for a race car or your truck. I'm trying a new 10w-40 syn oil(SYNMAX) in my 98 cup car. Seems like some engineers went and looked at the properties of all the good racing oils and formulated their own. It's about the same cost as Royal Purple, a little more than Redline,less than Mobil One racing oil and way less than Joe Gibbs. All these oils have far more ZDDP(zinc) and other additives that are removed from street oil because they eat the cat. converters. Flat tappet engines(such as small block chevys,fords,etc love the ZDDP.

You could also try Brad Penn(which is the old Kendall(sp?) GT green oil which is the only Pennsylvania crude still being pumped and is green(natural) in color.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceG View Post
    Tom...you didn't say if it was for a race car or your truck. I'm trying a new 10w-40 syn oil(SYNMAX) in my 98 cup car. Seems like some engineers went and looked at the properties of all the good racing oils and formulated their own. It's about the same cost as Royal Purple, a little more than Redline,less than Mobil One racing oil and way less than Joe Gibbs. All these oils have far more ZDDP(zinc) and other additives that are removed from street oil because they eat the cat. converters. Flat tappet engines(such as small block chevys,fords,etc love the ZDDP.

You could also try Brad Penn(which is the old Kendall(sp?) GT green oil which is the only Pennsylvania crude still being pumped and is green(natural) in color.
    Bruce, Truck Gets Rotella (no question on that) so looking for the Mazda Racer Internal Inspection revealed we might need a 5 or 10 weight to get to flow quicker to bearings then 40 or 50 on upper end. Used the Kendall GT for many years when they were Major Sponsor at Watkins Glen. working tech we had inside with the dealer and we got the GT-1 for nearly free! Because of the temps run by the Rotary use the Syntheic . T
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

No expert here, but I've used Mobil 1 10W30 in the ITS RX-7 for about 5 years. Should run cooler than higher weight and maintains good oil pressure. Haven't had the engine apart so I don't know what the internals look like, but no observable problems yet.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle7 View Post
    ....ITS RX-7 for about 5 years. ... Haven't had the engine apart ...
    hmmmm....I don't think we've ever gone more than 2 seasons
    on an engine in either the 14 or the 82 car...congrats!

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

[QUOTE=tdw6974;303571]Bruce, Truck Gets Rotella (no question on that) so looking for the Mazda Racer Internal Inspection revealed we might need a 5 or 10 weight to get to flow quicker to bearings then 40 or 50 on upper end. Used the Kendall GT for many years when they were Major Sponsor at Watkins Glen. working tech we had inside with the dealer and we got the GT-1 for nearly free! Because of the temps run by the Rotary use the Syntheic . T[/QUOTE

]

Tom...perhaps try the Brad Penn since it's like the Kendall.

I am curious as to how long you guys go between oil changed? We, myself and an E Prod driver, change oil every 8 heat cycles.

We have always used 20w/50 mineral or 15w/50 synthetic wt oils from Valvoline and Mobil 1. Both seem to be fine in terms of heat and pressure. On recomendations from several engine builders - Tony Riveria, Jesse Prather - we don't use low viscosity oils.

Regarding increased ZDDP levels, I can certainly see the value for an oil the contains zinc in a solid lifter piston engine. I wonder if there would be the same concern/value in a rotary engine. I can't really think of a bearing surface in a rotary that is similar to what you have with a lifter and a cam lobe. Where do you guys see the value in ZDDP??
    Scott Peterson
    KC Region
    83 RX7
    STU #17

Quote Originally Posted by mustanghammer View Post
    I am curious as to how long you guys go between oil changed? We, myself and an E Prod driver, change oil every 8 heat cycles.

We have always used 20w/50 mineral or 15w/50 synthetic wt oils from Valvoline and Mobil 1. Both seem to be fine in terms of heat and pressure. On recomendations from several engine builders - Tony Riveria, Jesse Prather - we don't use low viscosity oils.

Regarding increased ZDDP levels, I can certainly see the value for an oil the contains zinc in a solid lifter piston engine. I wonder if there would be the same concern/value in a rotary engine. I can't really think of a bearing surface in a rotary that is similar to what you have with a lifter and a cam lobe. Where do you guys see the value in ZDDP??
    Scott...I ran the syn. oil specially made for RX7's last season. The name is Idemitsu and it's the same Japanese brand that helped Mazda win their class at LeMans in the 90's. Made for rotaries and you can by it online from Mazdatrix.

Quote Originally Posted by mustanghammer View Post
    Do you know why they make that recommendation?
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

interesting thread on oil

http://micapeak.com/info/oiled.html