Thread: wheel weight vs. wheel size.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I selected 16 x 8.5 inch Kodiak wheels for ITR - tires are cheaper, wheels are lighter and I can put down the same contact patch. I think they will be faster than 17s but others may disagree...
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

I agree Ben. I'm using 17x8.5 only because the Kosei K1 is available in that size for my car, it's cheap and light. 16x8.5 would have to be custom and would be a lot more money to get anywhere near the weight.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post
    I selected 16 x 8.5 inch Kodiak wheels for ITR - tires are cheaper, wheels are lighter and I can put down the same contact patch. I think they will be faster than 17s but others may disagree...
    Ben, or anyone else...

Are we allowed to run 16" rims in ITR if it only lists a 17 on the spec line?

Stephen

Is the spec line wrong? Or did it come with only 17" rims in the US? Can you even fit 16" rims over the brakes? Looks like the only way to fit smaller than 17" rims is if the spec line specifies less than 17" rim sizes.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

The spec line does have 16s for Ben's car... my bad: )

Can you put smaller wheels on the car than what the spec line says? For example could an rx8 run 17s

Can you put smaller wheels on the car than what the spec line says? For example could an rx8 run 17s

"Cars originally equipped with twelve (12) inch wheels may fit thirteen (13) inch wheels. Cars originally equipped with metric 365 wheels may fit fourteen (14) inch wheels, and cars originally equipped with metric 390 wheels may fit fifteen (15) inch wheels. The above-mentioned cars as well as those cars originally equipped with thirteen (13) inch or fourteen (14) inch wheels may fit up to a fifteen (15) inch wheel. Cars may not fit wheel diameters smaller than those listed on their spec line. All other cars shall retain the wheel diameter fitted as original equipment for their make, model, and type. Knockoff/quickchange type wheels are prohibited. Wheels must be made of metal. Cars classified in ITR may utilize any wheel diameter up to 17” or retain their stock diameter wheels if larger."

Kind of contradictory, but I read that as saying ITR cars can use any diameter wheel up to 17", or their stock wheels if larger.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

That is also the way I read it but before I start looking and certainly before I spend a significant amount of money I want to be sure... I know for sure the auto rx8 came with 17" and I think all the grand am cars run 17"

I am not sure but I think I remember Steve Eckerich telling me a couple weeks back that 16s wont fit on an rx8. Hes building one now for ITR.
    Derek Ketchie SEDiv