Thread: Volvo 142 Fuel Pump

Default Volvo 142 Fuel Pump

I'm finding out the hard way what it means to be racing an old car. It looks like the fuel pump on my 1971 142 (D-Jetronic) called it quits. I looked around for a replacement and what I found was absurdly expensive and doubtful that it will even fit. This model has a 28 PSI / 22 GPH fuel pump that is too low of a pressure/flow compared to most modern FI fuel pumps. It is possible to run a higher pressure pump, say 50 PSI, and restrict the pressure and flow through the pressure regulator? TIA
    Anthony
    STU Porsche 944T
    ITB Volvo 142 (in the making)

Does the 71 still have 3 hoses at the pump, or was that earlier? Volvo quit those pumps years ago, and Bosch followed suit fairly quickly. Now the good news- any modern pump can be used, since most systems run 45 psi. The pressure is regulated down at the fuel rail, and is adjustable too. I would probably go to the wrecker and grab the pump/filter assembly from a 85 or newer 240. Bring all the wire connectors and banjo fittings and whatall- it will make for a better quality installation. The reason I suggest the Volvo/Bosch pump is purely a quality issue- they deadhead at well over 150 psi, with lots of volume- universal EFI pumps tend to be junk.

Back to my original 3 hose question- if thats the system you have, you may have to alter the return line and pressure regulator........but its been 30 years since I last did one, and memory is fading.

Jim Barnsley, Streetwise Service
    WCMA IT2 Neon Twincam
    2009/2010 Regional and Alberta IT2 Champion
    2009 Regional Overall Champion. Second this year, dammit.

Quote Originally Posted by Streetwise guy View Post
    Does the 71 still have 3 hoses at the pump, or was that earlier? Volvo quit those pumps years ago, and Bosch followed suit fairly quickly. Now the good news- any modern pump can be used, since most systems run 45 psi. The pressure is regulated down at the fuel rail, and is adjustable too. I would probably go to the wrecker and grab the pump/filter assembly from a 85 or newer 240. Bring all the wire connectors and banjo fittings and whatall- it will make for a better quality installation. The reason I suggest the Volvo/Bosch pump is purely a quality issue- they deadhead at well over 150 psi, with lots of volume- universal EFI pumps tend to be junk.

Back to my original 3 hose question- if thats the system you have, you may have to alter the return line and pressure regulator........but its been 30 years since I last did one, and memory is fading.

Thank you for the response. Everyone is telling me that the '71 came with 3 lines but mine is definately a 2 port unit. It might have been modified at some point. In any case I think this give me a few more options including what you suggested.
    Last edited by anthony1k; 03-11-2010 at 03:00 PM.
    Anthony
    STU Porsche 944T
    ITB Volvo 142 (in the making)