Thread: Ford Contour V-6 (non-SVT)

Default Ford Contour V-6 (non-SVT)

Hello!

I was just wondering why only the 1995 non-SVT V-6 Contour is classified??

The Ford Mondeo (1998+) seems/seemed to be a very good race car in Britain, and it seems to me that it's American sister could possibly do well here. Doesn't seem like it would be super competitive, but fun in the least!

Thanks!
    Eric Chance - Chattanooga Region
    - Still .... Currently Shopping for first IT Car!!! -

I think the Contour SVT in is ITR where it is considered uncompetitive. There was a discussion on this a few months ago. Do a search and you should find it.
    1988 ITA Scriocco 16V #80
    MCSCC member since 1988

Forgot to search!!!

Sorry!

Even after reading those posts, it still doesn't tell me why the NON-SVT Contour from 1998+ isn't classified. You would think it would be in IT-S. I would think that would be more competitve. But anyways... I don't want to...

Thanks!

maybe no one has asked for it to be clasified. if no one asks for it, no one knows about it.
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

Correct, You want the Contour classed, request it using the VTS form on the SCCA site. 170hp IIRC? Figure about 2605lbs in ITS. Pretty light with good power.

In the SVT, Not sure that it's considered incompetitive as I don't think anyone has built one. 2590lbs in ITR is REALLY light compared to other cars. If it can make 25% over stock, it has potential.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Since I own a SVT Contour I know that the 25% factor will be hard to meet. Ford did a good job in getting 200 HP out of the 2.5L V-6. The only area where you can make a major improvement is in the exhaust. But not 50 hp worth!
    Most owners of street SVT's who are after more power do a 3.0L conversion.
    MCSCC member since 1988

Quote Originally Posted by jimbbski View Post
    Since I own a SVT Contour I know that the 25% factor will be hard to meet. Ford did a good job in getting 200 HP out of the 2.5L V-6. The only area where you can make a major improvement is in the exhaust. But not 50 hp worth!
    Most owners of street SVT's who are after more power do a 3.0L conversion.
    Well here is a thought and something I have always thought was a good idea. The SVT should be a ITS car and the regular V6 Contour an A car. Sure it would be heavy but I bet it would be fun! Stock the curb weight is around 2800lbs. In comparison in ITA the Mazda 2.3 4 cylinder is classed with 156/153 HP/TQ at 2840lbs versus the stock Contours 170/163 HP/TQ. So you class it heavy and put a restrictor on it.
    1987 ITS RX-7
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Currently borrowing tow vehicles!!

Central Carolina Region

STEELERS SIX PACK!!

Default Page 373 of the GCR

The 1995 Contour V-6 (non-SVT) is already classified @ 2665lbs in ITS...

No need to request anything... The car has been classed for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Swift View Post
    The 1995 Contour V-6 (non-SVT) is already classified @ 2665lbs in ITS...

No need to request anything... The car has been classed for years.
    I know.... That is why I specifically asked why ONLY the 1995 was classified.... lol

My question was why the later models (specifically 1998+) Non-SVT's are NOT classified.

So, I guess the question is. Would it be best to just request the later non-SVTs to be classified, or to also request the non-SVT's be moved to IT-A .. hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by ewchance View Post
    I know.... That is why I specifically asked why ONLY the 1995 was classified.... lol

My question was why the later models (specifically 1998+) Non-SVT's are NOT classified.
    I'm sure that's just due to lack of attention and the lack of anyone who cared. To get the other years listed, just submit a letter (http://www.crbscca.com) asking to add the years.

Please be as specific and thorough as you can be with respect to differences between the years. If there was any change in the engine at all, talk about it. If you have service manual data that can back it up, let us know, best case provide copies of the relevant pages. And if the later years are different enough from the 1995 that they need to be on a different line due to different specs, different bodies, etc, then please fill out a VTS sheet (available on the "Cars & Rules" page of the Club Racing website on scca.com) and submit that with your letter too.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

hmmm interesting, I am not sure if it would need another line in the GCR, but I bet it would due to body changes etc...

But anyways, I think iambhooper answered my question ... lol

I'll let my buddy with the Contour know its not classified because no one has thought to request it! And now I know how to request it!!! hahaha!

Thanks guys!

I don't think you would need another line. While the front and rear did get a restyle in 1998 the bodies stayed the same, only the bumper caps, hoods, trunk, headlights changed. As for brakes & drivertrains, that remained unchanged for the 6 years the car was produced. 170 HP for the V6 & the same trans & ratios. The same holds true for the 4 cyl cars.
    MCSCC member since 1988