Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
I especially like this advice from Lawton. Jeff Young mentioned the rates the RX-7 guys were running in the SE. Our track record holding car is double that. How bumpy are your tracks? Have any karting experience? How quick are your hands? Blah blah blah.

My RX-7 was 550/425. Loved it. Nick's car was 800+ F. I hated it yet we ran the same times.
So true; I'm running spring rates approx 50% stiffer than anyone else with my kind of chassis (including the 944's). Got quick hands. My teammate's car has a more conventional, softer setup, with more swaybar; it should be much more forgiving, but not much if at all slower. And a buddy who upgraded from the softer setup to one equivalent to mine in his 944 found it much more nerve-wracking, unpredictable and twitchy... till I explained it all to him. Then he was OK with it, and started going faster right away.

The more spring you pile on the car, the quicker and more immediate the responses get. That's good, when you're talking about turn-in; not so great when you're a less-experienced driver talking about snap oversteer!

My poor wife had to drive this super-stiff setup all through her rookie year. Didn't stop her, though, and she learned to deal with it. I have noticed that her reflexes and hand-eye coordination got a LOT better, a LOT faster! LOL