We race a Golf III (front struts, rear suspension design doesn't matter 'cause it doesn't move) and ended up somewhere near where John H describes a path heading toward. We ended up with the stock rear bar and TWO additional bars out back, 700# rear springs and 500# fronts with no bar. To be fair, we focus on enduros so strive for "comfortable" over "all-out fast." We run with just a touch of front toe-out (like damn near none) and the rears straight ahead, mostly to minimize drag. We ended up with (I think) about 3* of camber in the front and about 1.5* in back. Greg might remember better (he conspired with Cameron Conover to make some changes while I wasn't looking) but the temperatures did *not* warrant that much negative camber. HOWEVER tire wear over as long as 6 hours at a time DID. They are beee-utiful when they (Hoosiers) come off.

I'm pretty "thrifty" myself so we use custom-valved Koni "yellows." They've proven to be pretty OK but yeah, we could probably have more control with trick multi-thousand $$ units...

Re: spring length, you can do the math to determine how the strut/shock travel and "coil bind" lengths compare, to get some sense of what is going to happen when things run out of travel. Also think hard about bump rubbers. I think they are VERY important, as they moderate what happens as things get close, essentially adding spring rate and damping the crash if/when the shock runs out of travel.

K