Thread: Storage issues

Default Storage issues

Hello again everyone. I'm Michael Block, the Orlando Auto Examiner, and I purchased a Datsun 200SX ITB race car back in November.

I bought it without a title (as I'm finding out is quite common with race cars), but to play it as safely as possible, I have an official, complete, and notarized FL DMV bill of sale.

The pressing issue at this moment is that the current storage arrangement for the car has fallen through - my friend is closing up shop and the shop location is going back up for lease.

So I need to get the car and everything associated with it out of there fairly quickly.

I can't keep it at my house, so I've been shopping around for storage units.

The problem is... I've yet to find a storage place here in Orlando who will store an untitled car. They say that, even though the bill of sale proves I own it, should I stop paying my bill and they have to clean out the unit, they can't sell the car.

Now, the PO was storing it untitled at a U-Haul in Daytona Beach, but that's 45 mins away. I need the car closer than that.

Has anyone had success finagling something with a storage facility that they will store an untitled car? Or do I have to go through the hoops of getting a title for it first?

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb

Go to its-titles.com and get a title for your car. It is relatively inexpensive and should solve your problem. As long as the car has no theft history, its easy.
    Chris

I've looked into its-titles before, though, and I believe it said something about proof of insurance and an inspection.

The car isn't on my insurance, and in its current state, wouldn't pass if the inspector was blindfolded

If I have to, I can have my dealership do a mechanic's lien on it and get a title that way, but that's pricey.

Store it as "auto parts."

K

You might want to check out local body shops or mechanics spots. The mom and pop ones that aren't real busy might be down for letting you rent space no questions asked.

Why do you always tell us where you work?
    Chris

Unsquishable bug on the way!!!!!

It's a R A C E C A R... why the heck are you even bring up the fricking title situation? Look go up to MR Metal Storage building guy and say " I would like to rent a 10'x20' unit. Do you offer power in some of your units? Yes, fine, No, fine. Here is my license and $1 for the first months deposit."

Look, don't tell more than they need to know. I used to rent a 30x20 w 220 and 110. I wasn't cheap, but it was nice... and I could run the Fiat up and down the storage canyon's at nite, with out grief!
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

I have a race shop at 34604. About 2 hrs from Orlando. rent is $50 but all that is left is uncovered.
    Should not be a problem at most of the self storage places. I have customers cars, with no plates, in those places. MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

If your looking for something a bit closer our shop is in longwood, about a 15 minute drive from downtown. PM if interested.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

buy a used 20-24' enclosed trailer and store that.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Sorry if I upset anyone. I'm not trying to spam; I'm still a new member to the community.

quadzjr, I'm sending you a PM.

To update my post on ITS titles. I bought a motorcycle in Nova Scotia online. The seller sent me the VIN#. I called ITS and they sent me the paperwork with NH bill of sale so I could take to MASS DMV. I went to Nova Scotia with registration and plate in hand and returned with my motorcycle. It was under $100.

Well, the car recently moved over to Trackspeed Motorsports today.

So I have the storage situation resolved for now.

Thanks Steven/quadzjr!