Thread: Question for those knowledgable about trailers....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lengthen the tongue. Only half kidding Can you change what you pack in the box to underneath and in the rearward under car storage area. How much tongue weight is present without car or any thing else loaded on the trailer?

I personally would not add a 3rd axle on such a short trailer. I think you should consider moving the tire rack even though it is out of bounds.

Just thinking out loud.
    Paul Ballance
    Tennessee Valley Region (yeah it's in Alabama)
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z
    "Experience is what you get when you're expecting something else." unknown

That tongue weight is worrisome. It would be easier to buy a different, larger trailer than add a third axle. Or, sell the truck and buy a dualie that can handle that much weight on the rear tires.

The huge storage box is the problem - you might be better with a 20-24 ft enclosed and have shelter too. That size trailer can be found no problem and great prices.

Sell what you have on eBay for $2200-2800 and take that money towards a better trailer. End up with something with better resale than a modded up triple axle is that thing factory? kind rig...
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Yo, Dr. Ingineer! If you're willing to drop a third axle on it, how about instead making an adjustable mount for the existing two-axle, a la pin-adjustable semi-trailers? instead of a fixed location for the leaf springs (I assume leaf-spring; is it torsion bars?) you make a slidable, adjustable locator system like they use in them-thar "big rigs". That way you can slide it backards and for'ards to meet your load....

GA

P.S., Luvin' that solar panel suggestion. We dropped one on ours mid-winter and batteries are "A-OK"...thanks for the suggestion!

What about bolting on some weight in the rear of the trailer, say 300-400 lbs of lead or steel plates?

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post

The huge storage box is the problem - you might be better with a 20-24 ft enclosed and have shelter too. .....
    He HAS shelter! he sleeps in that box! In there is an air conditioner, a big screen TV, a bed, a stereo, and a kitchen. )OK, I'm single so, to me a microwave IS a kitchen!) No kidding! Remember Harry Potter when they went to the Quiddich World Cup? And the little pup tent they stayed in?
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com