I've a question for those knowledgeable about trailers. My race trailer has too much tongue weight. Way too much. We measured it on the scales yesterday at about 1600-1700 lbs of tongue weight. Way more than recommended for even a class V receiver, which I don't have. I only have a class four, and it is rated to about 1000 lbs with the load leveling system.

I routinely tow with the 1200 load leveling bars and my air bags pumped up to about 75 psi. Setup in this fashion the trailer tows great - nice and straight, no swaying, and stops easily thanks to the dual axle electric brakes. It also works awesome at the track. Everything is at your fingertips, very easy to use, and makes racing less work. Everyone that has seen the rig loves how it works.

But, the tongue weight is a problem. I can move some weight in the trailer but the general layout is fixed and things won't shift too much. The Z is a 50/50 F/R balance car so loading it backward has no effect. Loading it a little further rearward helps but I can only go so far. So, I need a fix but have to stick with the following:
Boundary conditions - solution must work with trailer as it is now. We're not cutting tire racks off, moving the box back two feet, putting stuff in the pickup bed, lengthening the rear of the trailer, putting on goose necks, and so on.
Keeping that in mind I've come up with a couple of options: a) Move the two axles forward, or, b) add a third axle. Of these options adding a third axle is by far the easiest due to the under floor steel lockers that are already in place on the trailer.

So, what about a third axle? Think it'll help much with tongue weight? What about towing with a third axle? Some people have told me the trailer will be extremely hard to turn and park compared to a dual axle trailer. Is it really that hard?

Third axle pros: larger safety margin for an overloaded trailer, remove some tongue weight, more redundancy

Third axle cons: I bet fuel mileage will suffer, but how much? Is handling that bad with a third axle? How bad?

I'm leaning toward the third axle option. Anyone have experience with triple axle trailers they'd like to share?

BTW, the trailer looks like this: