Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dang ole, dang le...March Memories

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    VISA. Come on down to CMP!

I like my lights to come on about 400 RPM before you must shift. That way if I'm busy and the light comes on I know what I have left and can make some decisions. I don't like them setup so that it comes on at the absolute max engine speed because then when it comes on you're obligated to stop whatever you were doing.

I shift about 6800 RPM in the car, although the motor is safe to about 7100 RPM. Damage starts to occur around 7300/7400 RPM or thereabouts. Doesn't rev like the 240 motor likes to.

If I can get that damn clutch pack unpacked so it isn't a locker the car will for sure be faster. Doesn't turn as well as it could.

Have you measured your break away tq? If so whats it at?

Quote Originally Posted by tim240z View Post
    Have you measured your break away tq? If so whats it at?
    About 11 billion foot pounds. Guy that put it together for me packed it up too tight. I have got a stub axle setup for measuring it but I have not done it. Don't need too. This thing is locked at all times. In the paddock, on track, coming off the track hot, etc. Chirps wheels all the time if any steering input is put into the car.

But, I'll have some new play toys at CMP. A 4.11 with a Quaife unit. I used to use it years ago with a 3.9 and it was pretty decent, just the 3.9 didn't work anywhere I raced - CMP, VIR, or Roebling.
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 03-13-2010 at 11:11 AM.

I noticed that the OP seems to hold well in Hog Pen. You don't pull more right hand g's than that at VIR. Remember OP goes up and down with RPM. Also, you may want to put a shield around your light. Mine would catch the sunlight and light up, scared the dookie out of me. Mine is round, so a 3/4" section of conduit welded to a washer and glued to the dash and no more sun on the idiot light. Good use of the video to catch that! Look at your lap times and what you are doing in the car. I saw something that is costing you in two places every lap you did it, and Jeff pulls away every time you do it. Buy me a beer next time I see you and I'll tell you what it is.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mackaman View Post
    I saw something that is costing you in two places every lap you did it, and Jeff pulls away every time you do it. Buy me a beer next time I see you and I'll tell you what it is.
    Mike
    Ok, but do tell as beer is always free in my paddock area.

But if it is the variable lines in T1 and before Oak Tree, I was doing that on purpose to see if I could find a way to make up some time on Mr. Young. My experiments didn't gain in T1, but I did finally settle on a line in Oak Tree that would close up a couple of car lengths that I sorely needed.

Inside braking zone into T1 is better than the braking on the outside. Sometimes handy if lanes are crowded and you need to get around someone, although you'll generally give up some T1 exit speed to pull that off.

I know a super secret line through Hog's Pen I will share with you......
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

yea, I was thinking that oak tree and T1 were not what the comment was about...
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    yea, I was thinking that oak tree and T1 were not what the comment was about...
    The best I could was a 2:17 something and that lap is in this video. There is time in there, such as in Hog's Pen. And it appears I got a bit of a draft on that lap which I was not doing well on other laps.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWXt8qLsRAY[/ame]

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    About 11 billion foot pounds. Guy that put it together for me packed it up too tight. I have got a stub axle setup for measuring it but I have not done it. Don't need too. This thing is locked at all times. In the paddock, on track, coming off the track hot, etc. Chirps wheels all the time if any steering input is put into the car.

But, I'll have some new play toys at CMP. A 4.11 with a Quaife unit. I used to use it years ago with a 3.9 and it was pretty decent, just the 3.9 didn't work anywhere I raced - CMP, VIR, or Roebling.
    If you ever dig into it... just set it to stock... something like 55 ft lbs I think.