Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dang ole, dang le...March Memories

Default Dang ole, dang le...March Memories

Had a great race today with Ron Earp at VIR -- low turnout but we had some fast cars in the group. Weather was great.

Neil Harrison put his ITA (yes ITA) 240sx on the overall pole at 2:18.00, I was a couple of tenths back followed by Ron and Chris Plucker in a fast 260z and 280z respectively.

Ron and I got around Neil at the start -- torque will do that -- and proceeded to have 8 laps or so of the best racing I've been a part of it. Nose to tail the whole way. The new FI motor in the TR8 was strong and I led the whole way, but while I'd pull out 6-8 car lengths in the esses or the backstraight, Ron would make it back up in turn 3 and 10.

2 to go and I bobbled in Hog's Pen and went off left, came back on 10-15 seconds back and didn't have a chance to get back in the race -- congrats to Ron for a great win, and a great race.

I went into the race today thinking hmmmm....light field (six cars).....not as competitive as usual, but damn, Ron turned a 17.7, I had an 18.1 and Chris was low 18s as well. Small group, but fast.

Props to new guy Brian Pierce (didn't get a chance to say hello). Despite some damage to the nose of the car in the CCPS yesterday, he ran a 24 in the SARRC. Very nice.

And props to our newest team member Jeff Giordano. After a multi-year layoff, he drove the 260z to a 1st place finish in the Carolina Cup and knocked off a 2:20 lap. Very nice.

Great weekend.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Congrats on what sounds like a fun and successful weekend!
    Chris Carey

Central Florida Region
    ITS/Vintage Datsun 240Z

Favorite tool to remove undercoating---- A curb!

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Not much more I can add except that Jeff had that race pure and simple. Wish he'd have won it as it was his. Good weekend and it was nice to see some IT folks up at the track.

Got the race up in parts, will post them up here. Part one:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INlTjQCkmkk[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KjI9ZwrpDA[/ame]
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 03-07-2010 at 08:56 PM.

Good stuff guys! Ron, nice job getting that Z developed and across the line first. Jeff, your day will come, you've been at the door a number of times.

(Odd that just last Friday, NY got a foot or two of snow and I plowed my way to the airport that was nearly shut down. (2000 flights canceled, yet a week later and just a few hundred miles south, you're racing!)
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Man .. Jeff's car looks like it rolls out! I hope I have something for you guys at CMP. I'll get rolled at VIR for sure. I can't run those times (yet).

Looked like lots of fun, nice weather too, wish I was there..........!
    Charles Perry
    ITS #21 280zx

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    Not much more I can add except that Jeff had that race pure and simple. Wish he'd have won it as it was his.
    Congratulations Ron!!! And don't be so fast to give that win away. It's not anyones win until the checkers drops and wins are not easy to come by so enjoy!
    Steve Parrish
    57 ITS Nissan 300ZX

I came in here looking for March Mammories

Congrats on the win Ron!

Good Job Ron, congrats. That Jeff guy can never keep it on the tarmac! geez.
    Tristan Smith
    1991 Nissan ITR 300zx #56

Man, where was everyone this weekend? We sure did miss all of you regulars. Anyone planning on coming to CMP later this month?

Wow, great view Ron!! Thanks for sharing, sorry for Jeff, but what a race. Well done both. See you on track next time, not just spectating.
    Victor
    E30 318is ITA

Good Job Ron! I really enjoyed the show. Jeff, you have got the "Shape of things to come" hooked up now. Congrats to you both. YOur time is coming Jeff.

Hi Victor. Haven't seen you for a while. Maybe you can make it to Nashville in June or I can make it to CMP this year.

Paul
    Paul Ballance
    Tennessee Valley Region (yeah it's in Alabama)
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z
    "Experience is what you get when you're expecting something else." unknown

Uh oh. I just noticed something in the vid that I don't see on track. Oil pressure dropping in right hand turns. You can't see it all the time because the video is bad, but in some scenes you can see the oil pressure drop down to like 20 lbs, or see it returning from being down.

This motor has one of the Arizona Z pans on it. I was thinking that Steve P had one of these. Anyone have one and have oil pressure fluctuations and these pans? With my old Nismo pan I have had absolutely zero oil pressure fluctuations, nada.

again, great run guys! and congrats to Neal on the pole!

hoop
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    Uh oh. I just noticed something in the vid that I don't see on track. Oil pressure dropping in right hand turns. You can't see it all the time because the video is bad, but in some scenes you can see the oil pressure drop down to like 20 lbs, or see it returning from being down.

This motor has one of the Arizona Z pans on it. I was thinking that Steve P had one of these. Anyone have one and have oil pressure fluctuations and these pans? With my old Nismo pan I have had absolutely zero oil pressure fluctuations, nada.
    Dude... we had Sam build us an oil pan... Talk about bang for our buck. With a large cooler we hold almost 8 quarts and its actually lighter then the Arizona Zcar aluminum brick and have ZERO problems with OP.

Tell me about it! What a doof! And it wasn't even brakes this time....

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan Smith View Post
    Good Job Ron, congrats. That Jeff guy can never keep it on the tarmac! geez.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    Tell me about it! What a doof! And it wasn't even brakes this time....
    mistakes are part of it, you were running at the end and actually saw the checkered flag... how many times have you not been able to say that?!
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

Wow, you guys keep getting faster by the race! Who'se your sponsors?!!

Hope to see you at CMP eom. Finally, found my fueling "problem" cost all of nothing to fix and a $thou to find!

Won't have much for anyone (stuck on Nitto's 'casue kids tuition is due) but at least I can expect to be running at the end of the race.

Looking forward to VIR in May right?? Man I've been waiting for years to be back there. Love that place.

See ya

Travers
    ITS19

Is the shift light jsut a suggestion? with no ill effects if not followed?
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by tbtapper View Post
    Wow, you guys keep getting faster by the race! Who'se your sponsors?!!
    VISA. Come on down to CMP!

Quote Originally Posted by quadzjr View Post
    Is the shift light jsut a suggestion? with no ill effects if not followed?
    I like my lights to come on about 400 RPM before you must shift. That way if I'm busy and the light comes on I know what I have left and can make some decisions. I don't like them setup so that it comes on at the absolute max engine speed because then when it comes on you're obligated to stop whatever you were doing.

I shift about 6800 RPM in the car, although the motor is safe to about 7100 RPM. Damage starts to occur around 7300/7400 RPM or thereabouts. Doesn't rev like the 240 motor likes to.

If I can get that damn clutch pack unpacked so it isn't a locker the car will for sure be faster. Doesn't turn as well as it could.
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 03-12-2010 at 04:11 PM.