Thread: Setting Timing?

Default Setting Timing?

I just got my race cars engine running after not having been run for over 4 years. It started right up too. It's a 1.8L 16V.

Now I have the timing close since it started with little problem but how do you time this thing. I can't see the marks through the window on the bellhousing on the flywheel as there's to much "stuff" in the way and while there is a TDC mark on the crank pully there is no pointer to line it up with. I think there was one on the timing belt cover but I have no cover on this engine.

Any ideas?
    1988 ITA Scriocco 16V #80
    MCSCC member since 1988

Yea, 16v Sciroccos aren't as easy as 16v golfs...... Make sure the green or white plug is unscrewed from the bell housing. The pointer is on the engine side of the hole, and TDC 0 is a small 0 or divit, NOT THE nice machined slit in the flywheel, that's like 4deg...
    "Nebraska organizing committees
    to race in Iowa & Ne board thing "
    Still working on a name...
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

With all the hoses, wires, intake boot, and all I can't even see the port on the bell housing to see the flywheel to see the timing marks.

I think I will try to find TDC on #1 cylinder by putting a dial guage down the spark plug hole. If I can find a degree wheel that would fit the crank pully I may get that as well. Once I find TDC for #1 I can make a pointer to line up with the mark on the crank pully.
    1988 ITA Scriocco 16V #80
    MCSCC member since 1988

Are you trying to do the ignition timing or mechanical timing(cam to crank) ?

The flywheel pictured is missing the outer ring..
    FWIW. If you are very careful degreeing the cam wheel to the crank, you can use a mark on the cam wheel. You must use a good light and double check the advance to a very small variation on the mark. A degree off at the cam is two at the crank.
    HTH, MM
    Also, you can use a mirror on a stick, under all the crap, to get into the bell hole.
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/