Thread: bump steer "eliminators"

Default bump steer "eliminators"

I was just wondering the community's take on this - I remember that a freind of mine ran mazdacomp balljoint spacers on his 1st gen ITA RX7 years ago - through bolted with the steering arms to the strut.

are these legal in IT for cars with such setups - or maybe steering rack bushings that are thicker/thinner than stock (open bushing material and all that) to help balance the bump steer from lowering?

I was thinking of adding spacers between the bolt-in ball joints and knuckles on my car, and just want to make sure it's kosher.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip42 View Post
    I was just wondering the community's take on this - I remember that a freind of mine ran mazdacomp balljoint spacers on his 1st gen ITA RX7 years ago - through bolted with the steering arms to the strut.

are these legal in IT for cars with such setups - or maybe steering rack bushings that are thicker/thinner than stock (open bushing material and all that) to help balance the bump steer from lowering?

I was thinking of adding spacers between the bolt-in ball joints and knuckles on my car, and just want to make sure it's kosher.
    The Rx7 ones, to be technically legal should have been welded to the strut housing...
    other than that, I don;t beleive any of those solutions are legal.
    Marcus
    miller-motorsports.com - Its always an Adventure (and woefully outdated)
    1.6 ITE/SPU/ST2 Turbo Miata (in pieces... err progress)

The strut spacers/Ackerman improver are legal within IT by rule.

Rule:

MacPherson strut equiped cars may substitute struts, and/or may use alternate inserts.

As long as the spacer attaches to the strut by whatever means. (e.g. bolt/weld/?)
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

Quote Originally Posted by ddewhurst View Post
    The strut spacers/Ackerman improver are legal within IT by rule.
    Be careful with general statements...especially in a general forum (e.g. not the "Mazda" forum)...

As long as the spacer attaches to the strut by whatever means. (e.g. bolt/weld/?)
    ...but I agree. As long as the mods are to the STRUT and not to the KNUCKLE, then they're legal. Said differently, if your (unmodified) tie-rod end attaches to the strut, consider yourself lucky and "go for it". However, if your tie-rod end attaches to the knuckle (e.g., Nissan B13 chassis, most Volkswagens, etc) then you're S.O.L. and it's not legal. - GA

Smile

.....or, you might look around for a pair of knuckles with bent steering arms.
    phil hunt

I have to say I don't like the bleed over of the strut rule, but I pretty much figgured it would be illegal outside of that.

thanks for the help.