Thread: Protege IT Car?

Default Protege IT Car?

I am looking for a new car and really want to be back in a Mazda.

Tell me about the Protege. I've seen a few IT Proteges around the southeast.

Which is the model to have? I've been looking at mid 90's-2000 model, they seem to be around my price range.

I always THOUGHT these used Miata motors but someone told me no that the early 90 ones had SOHC motors and later ones use 1.8 similar to the 1.8 Miata?

So what's the model to get?

The one that's in ITB looks good - the 99-00 ES. It's heavy for an ITB car but it's got loads of scoot.

K

I didn't even notice there was one in ITB until I looked at the GCR last night. Looks like ITA ones include the 90-93 and the 95-98 models both DOHC and a minimum weight of 2325.

I don't know if anybody has raced the 2.0L. I love these cars as a daily comuter. They have great turn in (almost too quick), and have amazing lateral grip from factory. they can also be had fairly cheap.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

I have a '92 same 1.8 long block as the 94-97 miata. mine is on the heavy side and i'm not sure if you can get one down to 2325. Parts are very cheap. Mine was built back in '99 so performance parts were hard to find and had to be custom made but i'm sure you can find stuff now. I'd be glad to answer any questions you have. PM me if you want.
    Steve Elicati
    ITA 1994 Mazda Miata
    Central Florida Region

I had an '02 ES with the 2.0 that I ran for several years in FSP Solo 2. The car would kick ass in ITA for sure. Based on what I run in my ITA ACR Neon, I think that the protege could be the car to have. Makes good power and the minimum weight could definately be reached with a full build. AWR makes some good stuff for the protege, he makes alot of SM and Rx7 parts.

My car had Tokico illumina's with GC coilover sleeves with 300F 400R springs with Mazdaspeed rear bar and stru tower bar, mazdaspeed muffler and no name header with cat removed. Car ran very good and now I wish I kept it and built it as an ITA car. The car has a curb weight of 2494lbs, assume that between interior, sound deadening, undercoat and a/c, and stock exhaust you will knock off at least 350lbs. I would guess with a 180lb driver you would be at around 2400lbs with light fuel load. The vbersion you would want to build is the ES, you get the 4 wheel discs and 5 bolt wheels, although if you went with the es you would have to run 16" wheels since the 5 bolt cars came standard with 16's
    1987 ITS RX-7
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Currently borrowing tow vehicles!!

Central Carolina Region

STEELERS SIX PACK!!

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    The one that's in ITB looks good - the 99-00 ES. It's heavy for an ITB car but it's got loads of scoot.

K
    What is the difference between the one in ITB vs the ones in ITA? Was the 99-00 heavier vs the other years? The 99-00 would have the 1.8 DOHC?
    Todd Cohen

Thanks for all the replies! I'm looking at a couple right now but one is a 94 LX and it says for ITA only 90-93 LX's.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon T. View Post
    Thanks for all the replies! I'm looking at a couple right now but one is a 94 LX and it says for ITA only 90-93 LX's.
    The 2000 and up cars are in ITA for sure since they have the 2.0. The 99 and older cars that are LX or ES are also in ITA with the 1.8 at 20 lbs heavier weight and smaller brakes. The 99-00 DX cars with drum brakes are in ITB now at 2645lbs.
    1987 ITS RX-7
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Currently borrowing tow vehicles!!

Central Carolina Region

STEELERS SIX PACK!!

I run a 99 ES in ITB. its a bit of an odd ball b/c its a different 1.8 than 98 and they went to 2.0l in 01. min weight is 2645 but I think it well classed. It handles great and does pull pretty good down the straights. and as with most Mazda's, stupid reliable. Gas, tire pressures and go! I'll be happy to talk with you about it. The 95-98 1.8 is almost identical to the miata a few little differences. They are in ITA.

I MAY be getting a 91 LX (1.8 DOHC), how are these in ITA? I keep finding great deals on the later models but they seem to sell QUICK.