Thread: Can't find the cage number

Default Can't find the cage number

Hello all, Michael here, the Orlando Auto Examiner. I bought a Datsun 200SX ITB race car back in November.

I'm having a real hard time with red tape with this car... as far as I can tell, it landed from Mars.

Someone told me I need to look on the driver's side of the roll cage by the A-pillar to find the number stamped into it. With that number, I could call up SCCA and get a new copy of the logbook.

I have searched virtually every inch of the roll cage and cannot find a number stamped anywhere.

Where should I find it? Can I get a copy of the old logbook with the VIN? Or is its history as good as gone, and I'll have to start all over again?

Thanks!
    Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb

Short answer is no. There is no copy of a log book. The cage number is usually on the passenger side of the main hoop. If you find the number the region number is the first 2 digits in the stamp and they might have a list to re-issue from. Best bet is to just have a new book issued. It will have to meet all current safety standards, and the cage changes over the years would be your only issue. Either way I would contact the chief of tech for your region.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Look for a hole drilled in the main hoop, used to determine wall thickness. It's common practice to put the number near it. It could be that the number has been painted over, has rollcage padding glue on top of it, or something, and the hole might be easier to find than the stamp.

K

as i understand it, if you did not get the original logbook, its history is essentially gone and you are starting over.

if there was any "grandfathering" for the cage, that is now gone.

does the previous owner have the books or know where it was stamped?

otherwise, i would call the local tech inspector and he will likely issue a new logbook and possibly re-stamp the cage.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

When I purchased my GT car, the log book was missing. I knew the cage number, the date of issue, including the tech inspector and the region. I was not able to even get a reply. Ended up as suggested resubmitting the car as "new". The problem you may run into with your IT car is that there was a time when ERW tubing legal for roll cages. I don't believe it is legal now. ERW tubing has a seam and should have been .120" wall thickness. I was suprised as you are finding out, that there is not a centralized database of log books.

Quote Originally Posted by tom91ita View Post
    as i understand it, if you did not get the original logbook, its history is essentially gone and you are starting over.
    Maybe, I have reissued books that were lost or eaten by mice if I can verify the original logbook date. As was said there is no central registry. The regions usually keep a record but I know of many cases where that was lost. There is also no record of the car’s history other that the logbook.
    If you can find the number, call the tech chief of that region and see if he has a record of when the car was originally teched. If that fails you need to start from scratch.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

You might want to start with an unoffical tech first. That will tell you how much of an issue it would be to get a new logbook issued. If there is nothing major outstanding it might be easier to get a new book. If there is a major $ grandfather issue then you know you need to keep looking. But you want to know where you stand BEFORE you officially try to get a new logbook issued. And of course, best to find an inspector who is friendly...

+1 for finding the number and then using that to contact the tech guy(s) in the original region. Tech guys are often meticulous by nature and there is likely a big book that keeps track of log books issued. You might be able to start from the original owner and work forward. Heck, one of the old owners might have an old filled book, if you had that you could move forward and get a new one. Nobody keeps track of how many log books a car has.

<soapbox> It is inconceivable these days that no one keeps track of entries by logbook number so that we can have a history of a car and to have good participation numbers by model and manufacturer. <soapbox off>

Here's a lovely loophole...if I sold you my car, you could have a logbook that would let you run races for a full year. No one ever compares the logbook to the car. To get teched at an event, all you need is A logbook, not THE logbook. And it's not much a leap to realize that with a photocopier and whiteout you could have a logbook that matches your car. I'd suggest going the legal route though.
    Jim Hardesty
    ITC 1986 Honda Civic Diablo Rojo Verde
    Never argue your tab at the end of the night. Remember, you're hammered and they’re sober.

Michael,
    District 3 governor for CFRSCCA is Bill Martin. [email protected]

CFR chief of tech is Rick Henschel of Orlando [email protected]
    Gettin' old aint for wimps

tom91ita, the POs did not have a logbook. They never raced it; they were college kids who were ambitious but didn't have the time or money to fix it back up.

Now one lives in Maryland, and the other moved to Puerto Rico in December. So neither of them are any help to me now.

My understanding is that this car may have last been raced in Georgia. Would an inquiry to a region there benefit me at all?

Nonetheless, I'll email Bill and Rick. Thanks wcmcarlos.

I'll look one more time on the cage, just to be 100% sure.

You all have been a tremendous help. Thanks so much!

hey, hey, hey!

my screen name might be ita but my car was moved to ITB. you cannot refer to a ITB car as a POS.

they are to be treated with the utmost revererance!

hope it goes well with you. you might also try searching under their names and look for past results.

some of the stamped cage numbers are very hard to find. i know where mine is and can barely read it. the first person that found it declared what number it is and the rest of us, mostly through the power of suggestion, have agreed with them.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

I think the original poster meant "Previous Owners" not the standard "Piece Of Sh...." with his use of POs, though I am not sure how far into your cheek your response was, .

Great thread as I bought a car that had no Log Book as well and it was an ex-WC car. I really would have liked that Log Book for histories sake.

Eric

Der, ?? I'm in Longwood and build cages and support numerous cars. I can meet up with you and check the car out. I'm not a tech official but have been through a few.
    I don't speak German well, but MOM does!!
    four zero seven 4 six three zero 3 1 two
    Chris Leone
    318i going STL!!!
    E36 ITS underconstruction(sold)
    84 944 ITS (sold)
    71 240z more than half way there/now GT2 bound!!
    ChrisLeonemotorsports.com
    Roll cages and fabrication

Yes, I meant the previous owners.

But, unfortunately, POS does pretty accurately describe the car right now. The guy who helped me transport it calls it a 'boat anchor.'

As soon as I get the car back in Orlando, I'll let anyone who wants to look at it do so. I'm open to all advice... and need as much help as I can get

If you know if the car was raced, some where the log book number was entered. Do a search for the prior driver results. Call the nice people on the reg form. Sorry , just read never raced.
    Sounds like you have a new car..
    IN CFR. The tech guy put the # on ths pas side door bar, near the hoop, but on the side bar.
    If all else fails. Lean in the pas door and put your left hand where it is easy to reach. Most tech guys punch the # in a fairly easy place to hit with a hammer.
    Good luck. MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/