Thread: What type of RV?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

PS - just installed the brass stripper pole this weekend - the harem loves it!
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Yes, you are going to pay more for a diesel pusher....because they are rarely entry level RVs. The fit/finish/equipment is usually way above what the entry level gas models are so you get what you pay for.

Gas motors, with good maintenance, are generally good for 75-100 thousnad miles. Cummins 8.3 300-350.

My rig pulls an open trailer, bays stuffed with race gear and gets 10mpg. There are no hills in the South East for this thing. Set cruse at 65 and sit there about 850 miles at a time. Speed will vary 2mph or so and never shifts out of 6th gear.

Even though mine is a 94 model, all equipment is original...this was a very high line RV when new, so, high line water heater, furnace, frige, ice maker, convection microwave, water pump, etc. Also large holding tanks..100 gals diesel, 100gal water, 60ish gray and black water tanks. 7.4kw diesel Onan generator runs everything at one time...both air units, frige, icemaker, and microwave.

One other comment. On all the gas units I drove prior to buying this rig, the motor noise was excessive. Could not carry on a conversation in normal tones. With the pusher, all the motor noise is behind the rear wheels so normal conversation is possible, as is the stereo volume and tv. Freaks people out when they see the NASCAR race on the tv when I'm driving home Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

Greg, I have the Ford 450 chasis and it came with a Class 5 hitch. The prior owner hauled a scooter on a rear platform.

Ben, How does the toad work on grade changes (i.e. driving in/out of driveways and gas stations)? Is it more likely to drag the rear of the trailer?
    Ed Tisdale
    #22 ITR '95 325is (For Sale, $15,000 with spares)
    #22 ITS '95 325is (Converted to ITR)
    #22 ITS '87 325is (Sold)
    #5 ITB '84 318i (RIP)
    Racing BMW's since 1984

I followed the source of Ben's photo to figure out if those sorts of questions were answered. Lots of info on that and other approaches here:

http://www.rvsafetysystems.com/Trailer%20Towing.htm
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Hi Ed - so far no troubles but I've only got a few test drives under my belt so far. Hope that I don't need to buy that toad extension thing.

Will you be racing ITS this year? Maybe R?
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion

Ben,

Still undecided what and how much to race this year. I have been racing IT so long it is time to try something new. I would like to do some SM and Nationals or possibly rent SRF. But if the BMW doesn't sell I may do some updates and get that back to podium form.

I think this toad is exactly what I need for my trailer just to extend the tongue distance and cornering ability.
    Ed Tisdale
    #22 ITR '95 325is (For Sale, $15,000 with spares)
    #22 ITS '95 325is (Converted to ITR)
    #22 ITS '87 325is (Sold)
    #5 ITB '84 318i (RIP)
    Racing BMW's since 1984

Come on out and race spec E36 - er, I mean ITR :-) The Pro IT series has been tops.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion