Thread: ITB Volvo 142 Wheels?

Default ITB Volvo 142 Wheels?

I'm looking for suggestions on wheels for my (soon to be) ITB 142. I understand that 15 inch alloy wheels from the 242 are popular but I'm having a hard time locating any. Are there any others to consider? TIA
    Anthony
    STU Porsche 944T
    ITB Volvo 142 (in the making)

Quote Originally Posted by anthony1k View Post
    I'm looking for suggestions on wheels for my (soon to be) ITB 142. I understand that 15 inch alloy wheels from the 242 are popular but I'm having a hard time locating any. Are there any others to consider? TIA
    Absolutely... and now that I have an ample collection of wheels (and don't have to compete with you on eBay!), I'll tell you all I know.

The Volvo wheels you see on many ITB 140's are the 5 spoke "Virgo" p/n 1272356... factory equipment on 240 turbos in the early-to-mid 80's, about 17.5 lbs. Another suitable 15x6 factory wheel is the 5 spoke "Draco" p/n 1330400... I believe they were standard on many 740 turbo's in the mid-late 80's, around 16 lbs. There is also a Made-in-Britain Revolution Racing wheel that appears to be the same casting as the Draco - and not coincidentally I'm sure - they're about the same weight.

After much very patient searching on eBay a few years back, I came up with a couple of sets of a 10 spoke 15x6 factory wheel that came on early 760 series cars, known as the "Sirius", p/n 1329603. This wheel is a little over 15 lbs, and is one of the lightest factory 15x6 wheels Volvo ever sold. (There's also a very rare 15 spoke 780 series 15x6 wheel out there at about the same weight, but good luck with that one... there were only a few thousand 780 coupes ever imported to the US.)

Finally, also very suitable but somewhat hard to find, are 15x6 Riken two piece aftermarket wheels. IIRC, these were manufactured in the mid 80's. The Rikens are a cast center, welded to a rolled aluminum rim. Relatively light at a little over 14 lbs, there were at least two styles, both shown below.

All of the wheels above are the correct 5x108 bolt pattern and all are about the same offset - 20 to 25 mm.

I'm sure if you look hard enough, and spend enough money, there are probably some lighter pieces out there. But if you're on a budget like mine, you'll probably end up with something like the ones I've listed.

Sorry - couldn't find a picture of the 142 sitting still with Virgo wheels installed, so you get to see my 1800ES instead.

I've got two sets of the Revolutions described above that I would be willing to part with, provided the price is right. PM (or email to glearned at msn dot com) and we can discuss.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

Hi Gary,
    Thank you very much for the great information!
    Email sent.
    Anthony
    STU Porsche 944T
    ITB Volvo 142 (in the making)

Go to a local junkyard and see if they have the wheels. eBay requires shipping etc.

The 15x6 was the standard Volvo alloy throughout the '80's. The 700/900 series typically have a 25mm offset and the Virgo (240 Turbo) wheels have a 20mm offset.

Supposedly Team Dynamics has some lightweight cast wheels in the Volvo RWD offset, but you'll have to check with them on that.
    David Russell
    IT Volvo 242

If anyone is interested I have a pretty large supply of turbo wheels.
    Les Chaney
    #33 FP Volvo

I've got a set or two of the Virgos, and bits and pieces of various other sets. If you are in need, I will climb the racking and take a small inventory for you.

Jim Barnsley, Streetwise Service
    WCMA IT2 Neon Twincam
    2009/2010 Regional and Alberta IT2 Champion
    2009 Regional Overall Champion. Second this year, dammit.

I have a set of 15x6 Revolutions w/ nuts that I'm not going to use on my 240. PM me for more info.
    David Russell
    IT Volvo 242