Last season was my first season and I trudged my way through well enough, though I did spend way more than my budget. Probably due to the fact that I hadn't really set one...learned my lesson there. However we are expecting our first child this year and so I need to ensure that my now limited racing dollars are well spent. I have a list of tools I need to purchase, either because I don't currently own them, or because the ones I have/had are/were junk. I'm looking to hear from your experience regarding particular tools you're happy with, and whether it should be a Harbor Freight, Craftsman, or Snap-on/Mac/etc purchase. I plan on racing for awhile and I don't mind spending the money on a quality tool if it is justified but I also don't mind Harbor Freight provided that I'm not going to have eventually buy a Snap-on version because I go through five HB tools.
The sort of things I want to avoid - my HF rivet gun doesn't work anymore after only two uses, my "nice" Intercomp tire gauge is now junk after a season as it always reads 10psi(even after being babied all year), and a fuel pressure regulator from Summit that doesn't regulate.

Here are a few things on my list:
1) Leak Down Tester - $40 for HB, or $95 for Longacre?
2) Variable Timing light - is variable needed? Who makes a good one?
3) Rivet gun - good brand?
4) Wire crimper and wire stripper - there are many different styles out there, what style(and brand) works best?
5) Camber/caster/toe gauges - what brand or build your own?