Thread: Tool suggestions?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Get a variable timing light. Check on eBay or Craigslist. I got a mac off eBay for $50. I hear the craftsmans are good also. I say don't worry about it and get something the rest of us don't have, since we'll be at the same events. Camber plates come to mind.
    ITC #05
    '82 Jetta
    NEOhio
    Shutter-Up Inc.
    Olmsted Auto Care
    Light Doctor

Rivet gun.. I've only put a couple hundred 1/8" and 3/16" aluminum rivets through my Stanley so far, but it still looks brand new. no complaints. bought it at local hardware store.

Don't buy a cheapo timing gun. I have a $25 autozone unit and it suuuucks compared to my buddy's variable snap-on. I can use it to get the job done, but his is soo much easier to use. dial in the timing you want on the top and line the timing marks up to TDC. Way easier than trying to ballpark 22* when my pulley is only in 5* marks and the ECU continually fiddles with the timing.

Toe plates... I made my own out of a few pieces of square aluminum tubing, as well as a stringer setup. Fabricated some brackets and mounted them onto the bottom of my bumper and rear toe hooks, then I screw the stringer sticks to them so they're in the same place every time with no measuring.. notches cut in the sticks provide positive marking for the strings and voila!

Leak down tester.. When I need one, I just go to Autozone and "rent" theirs. I don't imagine needing one at the track unless you think you cratered the engine. a regular compression tester wouldn't hurt though and are much cheaper.

Wire strippers & such.. I have some $15 Craftsman ones that are about 10 years old and they're still going. I use them regularly on my job as an electronics tech and strip everything from 22awg to 4awg. They'll crimp 22awg to 8awg. not bad for $15.

hope my $0.04 helped..

What, no one has offered up who is a tool on this forum yet?

You guys are slipping...
    Stephanie Funk
    <Couple of NARRC and NERRC bragging things here>
    HP Honda CRX in progress, ITB Honda Civic, ITA Honda CRX, ITC Honda CRX
    "Green Booger Racing"

Speaking of which, dear----
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!