Thread: 280Z weight reduction

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 280z

I think a real to the max buid could be very fast..

because I do not have much time.. Kids Work house etc. I just race the thing, If could get some weight out and do some development I think it could be a lot faster, heck this thing has KYB shocks on the back ! I have never even checked the cross weight ! The result to effort ratio is pretty good.

Thanks for some of the ideas, I will keep you guys informed how much some of the things weigh as I get them out.

Thanks
    Plucker

Min weight is hard to get in the later Zs. We recently cross weighted and set mine up and we're going to end up about 56 lbs over with 183 lbs driver and min fuel. Just no two ways around it. Sure, we could ditch the 11 lbs of cool suit but I think that 11 lbs makes me more than 11 lbs of weight faster for sure - can't drive when you're passed out.

But, then again, maybe it is possible....I have a solid front sway bar, lose some weight there. Redo the entire cage at 1.5". Drop the cool suit. Lose one mirror. Lighten the seat. Remove seat padding. Remove EGTs (they are large ones that weigh around 1 lb each). Remove some scaffolding around the fuel cell. Ditch the fuel pressure gauge. Drop the voltage gauge....but then I'd be building another car and I don't want to build another Z.

Cool suit is needed, I agree. The cage is the big issue with your car I think Ron, and like you said that ain't getting corrected. You aren't much over now as is, maybe 30 lbs from a "safe" 20 over (hell CMP and VIR scales read that much difference).

There is still undercoating on your car. Maybe 5 lbs? Mirror, same. WAY TOO MANY SWITCHES. Camera stuff? Windshield? i bet we can find 30 lbs if we look.

Chris, you are damn right, you do really well with that car. It's fast.

See you Saturday.

Jeff
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Good suggestions above.

We ran a 280 in ITS in the early to mid 90's and took it about as far as we could on our limited dollars. Seems like we were about 50# lighter than yours. The car could run top 5 to 7 in thirty car fields with a best of third, but never won. As more SPEEDSOURCE RX7's showed up we slippED further back.

Finally gave up and built a 240.............immediately 2 to 3 seconds faster at Daytona & Sebring, 200 # lighter, better handling, better braking, and better accel off corner.......
    ... more SPEEDSOURCE cars show up ...still 5th to 7th or sometimes 10th.

GAVE UP......switch car to E Prod....win races!!!

Mike Van Steenburg & Grayson Upchurch and SPEEDSOURCE EP cars show up........lose races!

Go back to ITS with 240SX.....some top three's...usually top 5
    BMW's show up, more and newer SPEEDSOURCE cars show up, slip further back

Give up

Switch to GTA & SPO with V8 StockCar win races................
    Jay Marshall, Greg Cecil, Bob Stretch, Tony Amico,Charles Wicht, Larry Hoopaugh show up......
    LOSE RACES.

So what do we do now.........building GT-1/Rolex GT Corvette
    so we can lose to Dave Machavern, Jeff Emery and everybody in GA

YA GOTTA LOVE IT!

Bosco
    Last edited by bosco; 03-12-2010 at 11:05 AM.