Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Head & Shoulder Restraint Kit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    See, this is what I've seen you do on other forums. Instead of coming back with an actual rebutal, you tell people you have the experience and the answer and it is the "evil sanctioning bodies" that are keeping you down. Then you tell me to read something written by the person who invented the HANS device.....um, that's why I'm buying his device, not yours.
    I'm sure it has nothing to do with the impending ban of the device in SCCA...

which, by their own admission is based solely on a CYA approach as opposed to a stance that they are drawing a line in the sand regarding safety.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

See, this is what I've seen you do on other forums. Instead of coming back with an actual rebutal, you tell people you have the experience and the answer and it is the "evil sanctioning bodies" that are keeping you down. Then you tell me to read something written by the person who invented the HANS device.....um, that's why I'm buying his device, not yours.

As far as th qoute-unqoute .000001% chance time that something bad happens, the first race I ever worked in Cup was the race at Michigan where Ernie Irvan slipped out of his belts when he crashed in practice because they weren't tight enough and spent the next year learning to walk again. So I've seen it. And compared to my road car? I think pushing a vehicle to it's limits and putting it in places that is questionable is what racing is all about, so I think your chances of an accident are more than slightly increased from a road car. That was a rediculous comparison.
    So let me get this straight, you have seen one person who misused their belts ("weren't tight enough"), and slipped out, to damn the design of a device that's proven to be the most effective design, in all but one exceedingly rare instance (slipping out of belts), and call my comparison "ridiculous"?

If the sanctioning bodies I run with permittted it, I would be using the device that give me the best protection. Sadly, some lawyer somewhere has made me choose to be less protected than I could be. I hate warning labels too...
    Enjoy,
    Bill

The object of a good head restraint is to keep the head in contact with the BODY, not the seat belts. If the driver ever slips out of a shoulder belt your device would cause almost certain catastrophe. The reason the Hutchens device is no-longer allowed in Nascar is that it attaches the driver's head to the seatbelts instead of trying to tie it in with body position. This causes compression fractures in the spine. Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it's not possible. Your device has better numbers in testing because it attaches the head to the car and not the body holding it more in place, but that doesn't make it better. I'm not going to slam a device I've never used because 2 drivers I have worked with have died of the basilar skull fracture injury. Had they been wearing your device might they still be alive today? Quite possibly. But that doesn't mean your device has all of the benefits of the other devices. Single release for a quick exit isn't the only advantage even if that is the "technicality" they can use to make your device illegal. But dangers to the spine are FAR less by spending more money on a device that keeps the head positioned with the BODY instead of the SEAT BELTS. But I'm sure you know this. I hope you DO continue to find cost-effective means to keep all racers safe, but I believe your device is flawed and I wish you would be more up-front on all of the message boards you post on with the potential for spine injuries.

Jonathan McIntire
    I love people who worry about a theoretically possible event that "may" happen .000001% of the time, and overlook the advantage of a device that in almost all situations be more effective.

I am guessing this guy doesn't have a roll protection in his street car because his car "may" roll over in an accident. ID 10 T

I will say no more...
    Enjoy,
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by EV View Post
    I love people who worry about a theoretically possible event that "may" happen .000001% of the time, and overlook the advantage of a device that in almost all situations be more effective.

Tell that to the Feds regarding Toyotas
    Jerry
    NER South

Default Ironic

I was browsing Racing Junk and came across an ad for Defnder. Funny, though, at the bottom of the ad was another ad for back and neck work...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP