Thread: Head & Shoulder Restraint Kit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by AjG View Post
    How exactly is the Isaac released? Can the two push pins on the helmet just be pulled or do the buttons have to be pushed to unlock the pins? Is there video somewhere of someone getting out of a car with the Isaac system?
    There are different flavours of the pins available; I have the older, more costly style with the push-to-pull pins, where the center button must be pushed to release the pins. As I recall, straight pull pins are also available, for a slightly lower cost (IIRC).

Never bothered taking a video of crawling out of the car - it's a non-event, as Gregg has pointed out.
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

While watching the Rolex 24 (I know, it's taking me a while to get through with the wife not enjoying quite as much as me lol) and noticed that the TRG cars have two window nets mounted. There's the traditional window net AND one of the triangle nets used for head protection. So in order to get out of the drivers door, both of those need to come down. Interesting how we're hung up on (ha, ha!) two release points for H&NR but that's okay.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

So it's the single release point that is holding up your design? If egress is the only real difference between being able to play or not. I will just take some extra time and practice getting out of my car. I see my problem more of trying to rush and get out of the car and forgetting to take the stupid steering wheel off or somethign rather than my H&N getting in the way. In the end I'm looking for the product that will allow me to play, both legally and physically. If that means practicing to get out of my car or pulling my belts extra tight, whichever. Speaking of which, I see that, I believe Simpson, has made new belts that have 2" straps to become more "HANS friendly". Of course I have 3" staps. Is that really the issue, or is it loose belts in general? In the crash test videos it looks like there is a lot of slack in those belts and the Isaac slides along the length of that slack until the body is stopped by the belts; the same as the other devices, except you don't have to worry about the Isaac coming undone form the belts. The principle behind the shocks seems sound as well. But with all that R&D you can not develop a dual pull pin/cable doo-hicky? As much as getting out seems to be a non-issue for me I can see the same issue being that a driver may be too hurt or disorientated to pull both pins. i.e. one arm or collar bone is broken or a rescue worker not only having to reach around your head, but figure out how to unlatch it because the driver is still attached to their belts. Am I off base here?