Quote Originally Posted by mr. black View Post
So what's the verdict? You guys are scaring the hell out of the newbie who needs to buy one of theses things. Isaac becuase of it's lateral protection, HANS because of rep, Defnder because is offers a little of both for the price
Two recommendations, depending on your situation:

1) If you want maximum safety (including egress) and you intend to keep everything until old age puts you in a nursing home, get a high quality seat -- without the head surround/halo -- and use an Isaac Intermediate, or Titanium if you feel flush.

2) If you want the best short-term value package, keep your existing seat and get an Isaac Link ($199) and a side net. You're in for <$300. If you change anything later you can always sell these to a buddy.

...or Rage because is supposedly offer the best lateral protection
Key word is "supposedly." It's easy for a manufacturer to publish test results, yet some companies refuse to do it. If I said I was the fastest guy at the track, would you want to know my lap times?

...and does not rely on the belts at all?
If you lose you the belts you have a bigger problem than head injuries, which is why a H&N restraint that engages the belts is a good thing.