Thread: Head & Shoulder Restraint Kit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    ....it's the "restrain the head relative to the torso in a way that wouldn’t add injurious loads to the neck" that I refer to. Your device does not accomplish this.
    If you don't like ours you're gonna hate the HANS (it has higher loads to the neck, i.e. adds loads).

Any driver safety "system" is a collection of building blocks. Once a cage and seat are in place, the next step is the belts. If you cannot keep the belts on the shoulders everything goes downhill. The H&N restraint performance is compromised, and the seat head surrounds and side nets are only needed because everything has then become disconnected. It's a Keystone Cops exercise in trapping the driver in the car, all because the H&N restraint failed to hold the belts in place. We know this because we have tested designs that do not engage the belt, and designs that do engage the belt both rigidly and loosely -- at both Wayne State University and Delphi Safety Systems -- and published the results in peer-reviewed papers. We actually know what we're talking about.

Guess which approach works better?

Look, I think your concern for driver safety is laudable, but if there is something you know about belt interaction that the rest of the world is missing, please publish it.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

Default Well...

Slightly OT...but...Gregg are there any efforts being made in regards to ISAAC use in he future or are we (ISAAC users) simply all screwed next year.

???
    Mark Andrews
    ITS '92 BMW 325is
    St. Louis

Quote Originally Posted by buldogge View Post
    Slightly OT...but...Gregg are there any efforts being made in regards to ISAAC use in he future or are we (ISAAC users) simply all screwed next year.

???
    The SCCA made two completely opposite rulings on the subject in 2009 (same people, same issue, different outcomes), with the latest not going into effect until 2012. It's a pretty good guess that things will change at least once between now and then.

Everyone play safe this weekend!
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by gsbaker View Post
    The SCCA made two completely opposite rulings on the subject in 2009 (same people, same issue, different outcomes), with the latest not going into effect until 2012. It's a pretty good guess that things will change at least once between now and then.
    So... no change on your end?
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Quote Originally Posted by 924Guy View Post
    So... no change on your end?
    Design change? No.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC

So what's the verdict? You guys are scaring the hell out of the newbie who needs to buy one of theses things. Isaac becuase of it's lateral protection, HANS because of rep, Defnder because is offers a little of both for the price, or Rage because is supposedly offer the best lateral protection and does not rely on the belts at all? It would seem the best idea would be to get rid of the potetnial liablity all together. I don't know as much about the Rage as the others, but it looks like the likes of John Force uses it. And we've seen his monsterous wrecks. I'm buying a right side net as well, but not another seat. Smart words about the most fun you do and not the last.
    Last edited by mr. black; 03-01-2010 at 04:46 PM.

My money is on the Hybrid Rage Pro for $595 you can't beat it. SFI rated, great protection and very comfortable. Will be getting one very soon.. There are also more NASCAR truck series guys wearing it now also as well as Force and many other NHRA guys.
    Darryl Pritchett
    ITA #92 Dodge Neon
    2008 SE DP Champion
    2010 CFL Region ITA Champion

Quote Originally Posted by mr. black View Post
    So what's the verdict? You guys are scaring the hell out of the newbie who needs to buy one of theses things. Isaac becuase of it's lateral protection, HANS because of rep, Defnder because is offers a little of both for the price
    Two recommendations, depending on your situation:

1) If you want maximum safety (including egress) and you intend to keep everything until old age puts you in a nursing home, get a high quality seat -- without the head surround/halo -- and use an Isaac Intermediate, or Titanium if you feel flush.

2) If you want the best short-term value package, keep your existing seat and get an Isaac Link ($199) and a side net. You're in for <$300. If you change anything later you can always sell these to a buddy.

...or Rage because is supposedly offer the best lateral protection
    Key word is "supposedly." It's easy for a manufacturer to publish test results, yet some companies refuse to do it. If I said I was the fastest guy at the track, would you want to know my lap times?

...and does not rely on the belts at all?
    If you lose you the belts you have a bigger problem than head injuries, which is why a H&N restraint that engages the belts is a good thing.
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC