Thread: Head & Shoulder Restraint Kit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    I can't believe I'm wading into this, but Gregg's system *does* accomplish it as long as the torso and head are both restrained relative to the seat belts.

In other words, as long as the belts constrain the body, using the belts to also constrain the head accomplishes the same purpose.

I think Gregg would say that this assumption is totally valid and in fact the only way to approach it, because if the belts fail to constrain the body, then neither system succeeds.
    100% bingo for my view as well.

And while some will speak lovingly of halo seats, it's not like there aren't prices to pay with them as well. One, unlike NASCAR, we don't have numerous spotters around the course to inform us of cars in our now numerous blind spots. And again, unlike stock cars designed expressyl for halo seats, we race small sportscars with small windows that require us to climb out of on occasion, and when we have to go out the window, it's often when we're in a hurry. Dragging a HANS (or even not) through a much reduced (thanks to the big old wings) becomes quite a pain for people of larger than jockey size. I know I know, get a bigger car, ...it's safer...

it's all about balancing the different equipment choices with what our personal risk situation is. I'm NOT thrilled that I will hurt my visibility, AND significantly make it harder to get out of the car in a situation when I need to, when I've had a system that has protected me in incidents in the past, and is known to NEVER slip off the belts, AND tests WAY better than all others in lateral hits......

But, some lawyer someplace, or some "Foundation" knows better.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Halo seats: I've been using one since 2004. The egress is more difficult, no doubt, but I honestly have never felt any change in visibility. I think you're kidding yourself if you think you turn your head that far.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

yea, I'm looking at his picture of a "Proper halo seat"...there ARE other seats like the momos and Recaros that are sized more conservatively, but at some point i wonder, when I hear teh reports of how far the belts stretch in an impact, if those more minimal seats are properly effective. And if they aren't, then why pay the egress price? I know, it's not black and white, but then again, it's not black and white.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    yea, I'm looking at his picture of a "Proper halo seat"...there ARE other seats like the momos and Recaros that are sized more conservatively, but at some point i wonder, when I hear teh reports of how far the belts stretch in an impact, if those more minimal seats are properly effective. And if they aren't, then why pay the egress price? I know, it's not black and white, but then again, it's not black and white.
    I'm guessing you're looking at a 'containment' seat which is more like what you see in the Sprint Cup. Extremely long right side halo that blocks vision to the right but as you said earlier, with spotters helping it's a non-issue for them.