Thread: Head & Shoulder Restraint Kit

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The one thing that's "off-base" would be the issue of getting stuck with the belts; cornerworkers carry knives that make short work of the belts if needed.

The issue of trying to deal with pins with limited mobility on one side is an interesting point; at the same time, that can also affect your ability to, in general, climb out of the cage and car. Even so - it'd be a pretty straightforward step to reach around and get the other pin with the far-side hand.

Regarding the belts: why would you ever take to the track with ANY slack in your belts???

As for 2" vs. 3" HANS - I've gotten the impression that this is more a comfort issue for the driver than regarding security of the belts? Maybe those more familiar with HANS options could compare; I've only used mine with standard 3" belts.

I also asked, when prepping my built list for the new car (DSR, with formula-style belts), about if I will need to switch to 2" belts if/when I transition to using a HANS in that once 2012 rolls around, and was told no, not unless the 3" shoulder belts aren't working/comfortable...
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

I can see your point. As for the belt slack, it just looks like a lot of slack. Plus, when I first started to get my liscence, my instructor asked if I wanted the belts tight because he liked his a little loose for comfort. I personally don't want to be able to move at all, it's so tight. I've run both formula and sedan and it's the same for both.

I believe the SFI spec also includes design requirements, not just performance requirements. Essentially, if it isn't a yoke design, it can't be SFI compliant. Works out pretty well for the first vendor to arrive at the party, who if I understand correctly, pretty much wrote the spec for SFI.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Sounds about right to me. It's unfortunate that a better or different mouse trap gets kicked to the wayside like that. I don't think design should be a factor as long as it doesn't hinder performance (in all respects).

Quote Originally Posted by mr. black View Post
    Plus, when I first started to get my liscence, my instructor asked if I wanted the belts tight because he liked his a little loose for comfort.

That is a very disturbing comment from an instructor.
    ~Matt Rowe
    ITA Dodge Neon
    NEDiv

I should clarify. If memory serves me, it was the racer of the formula car that I was renting during the school. He and another formula racer was pitting for me. They both also gave me tips of how to keep the arm restraints loose (for comfort), but not look like they were loose when you have to raise your arms to show you're strapped in before getting on track. I rather be uncomfortable than hurt or dead.