Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Head & Shoulder Restraint Kit

Quote Originally Posted by AjG View Post
    How exactly is the Isaac released? Can the two push pins on the helmet just be pulled or do the buttons have to be pushed to unlock the pins? Is there video somewhere of someone getting out of a car with the Isaac system?
    There are different flavours of the pins available; I have the older, more costly style with the push-to-pull pins, where the center button must be pushed to release the pins. As I recall, straight pull pins are also available, for a slightly lower cost (IIRC).

Never bothered taking a video of crawling out of the car - it's a non-event, as Gregg has pointed out.
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

While watching the Rolex 24 (I know, it's taking me a while to get through with the wife not enjoying quite as much as me lol) and noticed that the TRG cars have two window nets mounted. There's the traditional window net AND one of the triangle nets used for head protection. So in order to get out of the drivers door, both of those need to come down. Interesting how we're hung up on (ha, ha!) two release points for H&NR but that's okay.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

So it's the single release point that is holding up your design? If egress is the only real difference between being able to play or not. I will just take some extra time and practice getting out of my car. I see my problem more of trying to rush and get out of the car and forgetting to take the stupid steering wheel off or somethign rather than my H&N getting in the way. In the end I'm looking for the product that will allow me to play, both legally and physically. If that means practicing to get out of my car or pulling my belts extra tight, whichever. Speaking of which, I see that, I believe Simpson, has made new belts that have 2" straps to become more "HANS friendly". Of course I have 3" staps. Is that really the issue, or is it loose belts in general? In the crash test videos it looks like there is a lot of slack in those belts and the Isaac slides along the length of that slack until the body is stopped by the belts; the same as the other devices, except you don't have to worry about the Isaac coming undone form the belts. The principle behind the shocks seems sound as well. But with all that R&D you can not develop a dual pull pin/cable doo-hicky? As much as getting out seems to be a non-issue for me I can see the same issue being that a driver may be too hurt or disorientated to pull both pins. i.e. one arm or collar bone is broken or a rescue worker not only having to reach around your head, but figure out how to unlatch it because the driver is still attached to their belts. Am I off base here?

The one thing that's "off-base" would be the issue of getting stuck with the belts; cornerworkers carry knives that make short work of the belts if needed.

The issue of trying to deal with pins with limited mobility on one side is an interesting point; at the same time, that can also affect your ability to, in general, climb out of the cage and car. Even so - it'd be a pretty straightforward step to reach around and get the other pin with the far-side hand.

Regarding the belts: why would you ever take to the track with ANY slack in your belts???

As for 2" vs. 3" HANS - I've gotten the impression that this is more a comfort issue for the driver than regarding security of the belts? Maybe those more familiar with HANS options could compare; I've only used mine with standard 3" belts.

I also asked, when prepping my built list for the new car (DSR, with formula-style belts), about if I will need to switch to 2" belts if/when I transition to using a HANS in that once 2012 rolls around, and was told no, not unless the 3" shoulder belts aren't working/comfortable...
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

I can see your point. As for the belt slack, it just looks like a lot of slack. Plus, when I first started to get my liscence, my instructor asked if I wanted the belts tight because he liked his a little loose for comfort. I personally don't want to be able to move at all, it's so tight. I've run both formula and sedan and it's the same for both.

I believe the SFI spec also includes design requirements, not just performance requirements. Essentially, if it isn't a yoke design, it can't be SFI compliant. Works out pretty well for the first vendor to arrive at the party, who if I understand correctly, pretty much wrote the spec for SFI.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Sounds about right to me. It's unfortunate that a better or different mouse trap gets kicked to the wayside like that. I don't think design should be a factor as long as it doesn't hinder performance (in all respects).

Quote Originally Posted by mr. black View Post
    Plus, when I first started to get my liscence, my instructor asked if I wanted the belts tight because he liked his a little loose for comfort.

That is a very disturbing comment from an instructor.
    ~Matt Rowe
    ITA Dodge Neon
    NEDiv

I should clarify. If memory serves me, it was the racer of the formula car that I was renting during the school. He and another formula racer was pitting for me. They both also gave me tips of how to keep the arm restraints loose (for comfort), but not look like they were loose when you have to raise your arms to show you're strapped in before getting on track. I rather be uncomfortable than hurt or dead.

The Isaac is released by pulling two rings. They have lanyards on them, or can be modified in anyway that the wearer likes. One thing that makes the Isaac easy to releases is that the pins are on the helmet, and you always find them there, so it's easy to do no matter your position. It's like reaching for your ear. AND, every single time you get out of the car, you release them. THAT's a major difference compared to say the HANS. I see the HANS guys leaving the thing attached to the helmet because it's easier that way. Too much fumbling to get it back in place and ready to roll. Trouble is, THAT becomes 'The habit" and when you need to get out NOW, after an endo when your brain is rattled (see Mid Ohio video of Joey Hand), you don't change the 'habit" and go for the quick releases. (That incident could have ended much differently if there had been one less flip and an aggressive fire developed.).

For those who are asking why the Isaac can't just be changed, it performs as well as it does because of it's design. The SFI spec MANDATES certain design, or architecture parameters be met. It requires that the loads be transferred to the body, and that means some form of S&M strapping or some yoke like thing. The issue is that the belts are now not captive, and the devices can slip free. (See numerous videos, including one of Greg Amy at Watkins Glen)

I think that, for Greg's company, it presents a very real predicament. IF they changed the design to a yoke like thing, such as the HANS or DEFENDER, but with some cool roller track and the dampers, it would indeed ROCK. BUT, it would have the same weakness* that he has clearly shown he is aware of, that the things come off the belts. So, if a guy crashes, bounces of some wall, dislodges the yoke, then slams into a concrete pillar and dies, his wife may decide that something went wrong. He was SUPPOSED to live, he was wearing this device that was SUPPOSED to save him, and WHY did he die? Didn't the device maker know this would happen? In Greg's case, he's clearly said it can and will happen. At least with the others, they're looking the other way and there's no easy fishing for a lawyer.

* It has the same weakness because our club insists that all the other crap we hook to ourselves doesn't restrain us, and that the belts MUST be free with one action.**

**I can 'see' a belt device that uses the cam lock release action and has two cables that release the Isaac pins...but I just can't design them. Even if I could, I'd have to go get such a thing certified by the SFI, which would suck, not only because it would cost a ton, but because it would be a big gamble. If they feel the design doesn't meet their criteria, you're out tens of thousands of dollars. I don't know if, knowing what I know about the politics of it all, that I'd gamble that amount.
    Last edited by lateapex911; 03-05-2010 at 07:16 PM.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Is there anyway to make sure that the belts dont' slip?

Default Ironic

I was browsing Racing Junk and came across an ad for Defnder. Funny, though, at the bottom of the ad was another ad for back and neck work...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

I have and highly reccommend a defNder. It is adjustable so I can move from my FV to my ITA car easily, just adjust the angle. Also, it is easy to get out with, you just have to make sure to flip the belts off, or pull the tabs and twist your head while buckled in to leave the DefNder behind, then hop out. People getting stuck in cars is mostly from not practicing getting out. If you practice getting out of your car quickly just a few times, you'll be able to get out in a hurry when it really matters.

Steven

I liked the Dfendr much better for an overall purchase. But I have a short neck which did allow for enough clearance. In the end I got the HANS.