Thread: Shocks/struts 2nd gen

Default Shocks/struts 2nd gen

Currently have GAB shocks/struts on car and feel they may be getting tired. I don't know if these are still available? The have multiple adjustments. Anyhow looking for replacements. Thanks T Weaver
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

KYB AGX's are the same thing as your old GAB's , check ebay, probably around $450 will do the car.

matt

Quote Originally Posted by xr4racer View Post
    KYB AGX's are the same thing as your old GAB's , check ebay, probably around $450 will do the car.

matt
    Matt, The GAB on our car have 2 adjustments one in the top of the strut and then the adjustment knob(keep in mind that I'm the truck driver and procurement person Ie they say get this or that and its left to me to figure it out!) Tom
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

The fronts should have 4 different positions on the top and the rears have a knob on the side under the car that you can set 1-8

matt

Default Too Easy

Well the rear shocks are on direct replacement. The fronts are different story. The strut bearing does not fit the new shocks . on the old struts apparently what was done was to grind the rod to fit the bearings as mounted in the plates. Headed to a local bearings unlimited store to see what I can come up with. T W

What is the diameter of the new strut? I do remember them being turned down by Ground Control to fit my GC camber plates. It would pobably be easier to have a local machine shop turn the new shafts down if they are greater than 5/8".

matt

Quote Originally Posted by xr4racer View Post
    What is the diameter of the new strut? I do remember them being turned down by Ground Control to fit my GC camber plates. It would pobably be easier to have a local machine shop turn the new shafts down if they are greater than 5/8".

matt
    Matt, headed to the machine shop. The bearings would have required re machining the plates and I did not like the way they fit the shaft as they allowed "Slop" The bearing forks recomended building up the shaft to snug it up in the bearing so then we are into 2 operations. Hopefully we can just have them turned to fit. T

If I remember the shafts were turned down to 15mm and then GC provided a bushing so they fit in the 5/8 camber plate. I may be wrong, what are your old struts turned to? I have some old KYB's around here that I can measure if you need me to.

matt