Thread: 85 IT7 starting issues

Default 85 IT7 starting issues

Hi Folks,

I'm having trouble starting my RX. I've owned it for a few months and it's always been tough to start. Lots of cranking and fiddling with the fuel pump on off. Once started, it seems to run fine. However, yesterday I could not get it started at all. It's been real cold the last few days and it sits outside.

Other than confirming spark, fuel, and compression what other tips/tricks can you give me for getting a rotary started? Of course the first autocross is this Sunday.

Thanks for any and all help.

Most of the IT7 cars I have seen are absolute junk. Try pumping the gas, then let off the gas while cranking to draw fuel into the system. If that does not work, pour fuel over the car and ignite!

Next time the car doesn't want to start for you, hook up jumper cables or a jumper box. If it starts after doing this, time to re-do your grounds and make sure you have a good battery.
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT

Take a good look at your ignition components; wires, plugs, distributor cap and rotor. If you don't know how long its been since you have changed them, do it now! Fuel filter too!

Our POS is pretty good about fouling plugs if not raced too often and just idled or very brief runs. Make sure you have fresh plugs, distributor cap, rotor, and good plug wires installed. A rotary does not like low RPM for too long before it will foul plugs pretty quickly. On race weekends we install fresh plugs every morning for the day's racing. The cap and rotor are every weekend changes. We use Racing Beat wires and replace them every year. Just have to keep stuff fresh a lot more often.

Well, it's flooded. I pulled the plugs and gas ran out. Do you guys use the motor oil down the carb trick for starting flooded rotaries?

I've been trying to start it regularly and let it get up to operating temp, but I may not be giving it enough time at high RPM. I can't drive it on the street, no plates and it's loud.

These cars are start terrible on old plugs even in street form, so anytime you have a starting issue change the plugs. With a race prepped carb I always have to use ether the first time I start it each weekend then it is fine from then on. I never start the to load or unload it as I was told shuting it of cold was bad for it.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Flooded: Remove plugs, replace with fresh if you've got them, or dry existing. While they are out, crank over. Be prepared for the shooting mist/cloud. I assume the choke is gone. Transmission fluid (auto) is popular for regaining compression, BUT, your neighbors will HATE you. Mine called the cops one summer Saturday. Drop a bit in the carb while cranking. Then replace plugs. My particular carb likes a bunch of gas pedal pumping. (No choke) when it's really cold. If it's REALLY cold, like 50 degrees and it hasn't been started in a few days, it's ether time.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Tie it to your tow vehicle and flat tow it around the block a number of times...been there on numerous occasions with an RX3.

So I tried the plug clean up, seafoam and oil in the carb, and some gumout and starter fluid for good measure. I got it to kick over and run for maybe 15 seconds, then it would stop when it ran out of stuff to burn. I'm now guessing that the carb initially flooded the engine right before it gave up the ghost and stopped working because it seems like it's not getting fuel.

I'm going to check the filters and lines to see if I'm getting gas to the carb. If that looks good, time for a carb rebuild or just rebuilt one from Sterling.

Thanks for your help and encouragement. Any further suggestions are appreciated.

I'm not really sure of the differences between our engines (PRO-7 vs IT7) but when the engine is cold or first start of the day try a hotter plug like a NGK 8 series and then let it warm up. After it is warm slip in a colder 9 series to race with. So far I have always got my started with the 9's but it starts alot easier with the 8's. Good luck.

When mine hasnt been run for awhile i need to pump like carzy to get it fired.
    After its been parked for the winter I pull it in 2 or 3 gear toget started. after that all is fine.