Thread: Dl-1

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Dl-1

On another thread there was some talk about the usefulness of a DL-1 system.
    I searched and found a Vorshalg DL-1 data acqusition system. Is this what you guys were referring to? If so I have a question-- in addition to the box what do you need as far as sensors are concerned??
    Dan Deyo
    92 Acura Integra
    ITA #94

Default Race Technology DL-1

I'm sure the discussion was about the Race Technology DL-1, a GPS & Accelerometer based data acquisition system.

http://race-technology.com/

What sensors are useful with data acquisition systems depends on the questions you are trying to answer. You can measure vehicle and driver performance with the basic DL-1 without any additional sensors. But if you're trying to monitor your engine parameters, then having RPM, a temperature sensor and an oil pressure sensor might be useful. If you are looking at driver technique, then throttle position, steering, and maybe brake pressure would be helpful.

Beyond that, what do you want to know? Suspension position? IR-tire temps? Airbox pressure?

David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    http://veracitydata.com
    Last edited by David Ferguson; 02-09-2010 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Ferguson View Post
    I'm sure the discussion was about the Race Technology DL-1, a GPS & Accelerometer based data acquisition system.

http://race-technology.com/

What sensors are useful with data acquisition systems depends on the questions you are trying to answer. You can measure vehicle and driver performance with the basic DL-1 without any additional sensors. But if you're trying to monitor your engine parameters, then having RPM, a temperature sensor and an oil pressure sensor might be useful. If you are looking at driver technique, then throttle position, steering, and maybe brake pressure would be helpful.

Beyond that, what do you want to know? Suspension position? IR-tire temps? Airbox pressure?

David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    http://veracitydata.com
    With only 3 years in SCCA seat time is key. I am told however that the addition of a DL-1 will enhance the learning. So I think at this time the basic stuff is what I need.
    Dan Deyo
    92 Acura Integra
    ITA #94

You guys can also go in together and share a DL-1. All you'll need to do is buy a separate power cable (either a cig plug from Radio Shack or a pair of wires to hardwire it into your electrical system), and the proprietary plug that goes into the back of the DL-1. If you want to keep your GPS antenna permanently installed you'll need to buy one of those too (it's a magnetic base, but you may want to secure the wiring with tye-wraps and not bother with removing and replacing it between sessions when you're sharing).

The basic DL-1 comes with a two-axis accelerometer and GPS inputs; this by itself is EXTREMELY powerful information, and a good basic setup. From there you an easily input RPM (same place you take it off for an aftermarket tach) and a brake input wire (run a wire from the ground side of the brake light switch to the DL-1 input so you can see when you touch the brakes.) Just by adding these two inputs you've nearly doubled its usefulness (and they're the easiest ones to do.) Best inputs after that are throttle position (if you have a TPS you can take it off there) and steering input (usually something like a rotary pot on the steering shaft or a linear pot on the tie rods).

Then, when you become totally enamored with the product (and you will), you can add the DASH-3 display, giving you shift lights and input warnings.

My preferred vendor for DL-1 products, and the guy through which I do my coaching/data acq work, is Jeremy Lucas of FastTech Limited. Plus he's an ITA competitor and an all-around good guy...

http://www.fasttechlimited.com/

GA

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    You guys can also go in together and share a DL-1. All you'll need to do is buy a separate power cable (either a cig plug from Radio Shack or a pair of wires to hardwire it into your electrical system), and the proprietary plug that goes into the back of the DL-1. If you want to keep your GPS antenna permanently installed you'll need to buy one of those too (it's a magnetic base, but you may want to secure the wiring with tye-wraps and not bother with removing and replacing it between sessions when you're sharing).

The basic DL-1 comes with a two-axis accelerometer and GPS inputs; this by itself is EXTREMELY powerful information, and a good basic setup. From there you an easily input RPM (same place you take it off for an aftermarket tach) and a brake input wire (run a wire from the ground side of the brake light switch to the DL-1 input so you can see when you touch the brakes.) Just by adding these two inputs you've nearly doubled its usefulness (and they're the easiest ones to do.) Best inputs after that are throttle position (if you have a TPS you can take it off there) and steering input (usually something like a rotary pot on the steering shaft or a linear pot on the tie rods).

Then, when you become totally enamored with the product (and you will), you can add the DASH-3 display, giving you shift lights and input warnings.

My preferred vendor for DL-1 products, and the guy through which I do my coaching/data acq work, is Jeremy Lucas of FastTech Limited. Plus he's an ITA competitor and an all-around good guy...

GA
    Thanks GA I will speak with Denise and come up with a plan.
    Dan Deyo
    92 Acura Integra
    ITA #94

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post

GA
    As somebody who DOESN't work for Jeremy, I have to agree with tGA statement. He is an awesome dude to deal with.
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

"I have yet to turn a wheel on track without improvement since starting to use the DL1 system." - Greg, SCCA National Driver

Cool system! If it can make you Purple Crack fast on komho V700s, I am getting it!
    "Nebraska organizing committees
    to race in Iowa & Ne board thing "
    Still working on a name...
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

I don't know what other people are running in IT cars in So-Pac, a couple that I talked to, such as Darin and Naji are only running lap timers, but two features that I like about the Dl-1 is the accelerometer pack and the Rs-232 connection. I could hook my TecII up to the rs-232 and read the throttle position and rpm directly and log it. I could also hook all 4 wheel speed sensors up and get brake slide or wheel spin. Sounds to me that the only person I have to compare data with is myself at this point, so I can see the usefulness, but it's not as usefull as it could be to bring me up to speed.

I have a friend who run an AIM system, but he drives a FC, so how useful would that data be?
    Last edited by Z3_GoCar; 03-05-2010 at 02:23 PM.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Happy to answer any specific questions or help you find the system that best fits your needs (even if it's one of the ones I don't carry); my contact info is on my website.

You also can't go wrong talking with Mr Furgeson.
    Jeremy Lucas
    Fast Tech Limited

I have used a Traqmate for the last 2 seasons and have found it very useful to analyze my own performance, even if not comparing it to others. The same could be said for any of the units mentioned. Was I faster in a certain turn by braking later and harder or scrubbing speed more gradually? Or was a faster or slower day to day, and in which segments am I gaining or losing. By merging it with video, you can take a look at a certain line. Traqmate has predictive lap timing which is nice for qualifying - you can see if you're already off your prior pace you can make a decision on what to do with the rest of the lap. One thing I don't like about TM is that it costs an extra $200 for a Traqdata which allows you 4 analog, 2 digital and one rpm input. It's adequate but not thorough if you want throttle, brake pressure, steering, and then add a couple of gauges. It's a good unit, easy to use and they are always upgrading the software. Any of these units mentioned will do what a TM does, so if it comes down to a decision I agree with the other comments go with the one used mostly in your class or region. I'm a huge fan of using data to improve driving technique. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by shlowone; 03-06-2010 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shlowone View Post
    I have used a Traqmate for the last 2 seasons and have found it very useful to analyze my own performance, even if not comparing it to others. The same could be said for any of the units mentioned. Was I faster in a certain turn by braking later and harder or scrubbing speed more gradually? Or was a faster or slower day to day, and in which segments am I gaining or losing. By merging it with video, you can take a look at a certain line. Traqmate has predictive lap timing which is nice for qualifying - you can see if you're already off your prior pace you can make a decision on what to do with the rest of the lap. One thing I don't like about TM is that it costs an extra $200 for a Traqdata which allows you 4 analog, 2 digital and one rpm input. It's adequate but not thorough if you want throttle, brake pressure, steering, and then add a couple of gauges. It's a good unit, easy to use and they are always upgrading the software. Any of these units mentioned will do what a TM does, so if it comes down to a decision I agree with the other comments go with the one used mostly in your class or region. I'm a huge fan of using data to improve driving technique. Hope that helps.
    AJ.....the best aquisition device for the over 60 crowd(me for one) is charging our pacemakers before qualifying...LOL.