Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this airdam legal for IT?

Default Is this airdam legal for IT?

Hello all,

My sponsor is offering me this part for my 2000 Civic:

http://www.specialprojectsms.com/ind...?categoryID=38

It's the one for 99-00 EK. Is this legal for ITS? Thanks.

Is it just the white airdam and black splitter attached at the bottom? As long as no part of it is below the bottom of your wheel and you can't see its outline anywhere as you look directly from above the car, it's probably legal. If it does extend past the vertical outline, you'd need to trim the splitter part accordingly. If the sides extend past the vertical outline, you'd need to pull that in so it doesn't.

Got any better photos? - GA

Yes, Special Projects splitters/air-dams are IT/HC legal. They are within the vertical body line of the car, do not go below the wheel rim, and only go back as far as the fender opening; the three things needed to be legal. That's what they were designed for.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

Awesome guys, thanks for the quick and precise response!

What did everyone decide about attachment points?
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by spnkzss View Post
    What did everyone decide about attachment points?
    I don't think a consensus was ever reached. Kinda one of those "let sleeping dogs lie" things...

I believe the rules say that the unit must attach to the 'body'... if that means the bumper cover (outer shell) or the unibody, only the CRB knows.
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Quote Originally Posted by mossaidis View Post
    I believe the rules say that the unit must attach to the 'body'... if that means the bumper cover (outer shell) or the unibody, only the CRB knows.
    Body is defined in the GCR
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

It's not clear if this answered the question and that's probably not an accident. Well played.

No way to know if the compliance of the radiator support panel and inner fender line attachment was considered or not. You'll have to build one to find out.

FACTS IN BRIEF
    On January 1, 2009, Robert Moser submitted a request for Rules Interpretation asking for a ruling on the compliance of the spoiler/air
    dam on his 1988 Honda CRX Si ITA relative to GCR 9.1.3.D.8.b. Pursuant to GCR 8.1.4., Ken Patterson, Chairman of the Stewards’
    Program, appointed a Review Committee of Rick Mitchell, Bob Eddy, and Tom Brown, Chairman, who met, reviewed Mr. Moser’s submissions
    and documentation, and spoke with Mr. Moser on several occasions. They concluded that the spoiler is non-compliant
    because the spoiler/air dam is not mounted onto the body of the car, as mandated by 9.1.3.D.8.b.
    Mr. Moser is appealing that decision to the Court.
    DATES OF THE COURT
    The Court of Appeals (COA) Dick Templeton, David Nokes, and Robert Horansky, Chairman, met on June 4, 11, 18, and 25, 2009 to
    hear, review, and render a decision on the request.
    DOCUMENTS AND OTHER EVIDENCE RECEIVED AND REVIEWED
    1. Letter and supporting documentation from Mr. Moser requesting a Rules Interpretation, dated January 1, 2009.
    2. Review Committee decision, dated May 18, 2009.
    3. Appeal letter from Mr. Moser, dated May 28, 2009.
    4. Appeal Notification, dated May 29, 2009.
    5. Email statements from Bob Dowie, Club Racing Board Chairman, dated June 14 and June 24, 2009.
    FINDINGS
    In the original request, Mr. Moser sought “guidance regarding whether a ‘splitter’ design using two or more panels that attach to the
    integrated bumper, the radiator support panel and inner fender liners, and that has openings in the horizontal plane between the integrated
    bumper and vertical face of the splitter with free flow of air behind the face of the integrated bumper is legal on an IT car under
    9.1.3.D.8.b.”
    Multiple components may be joined to create an air dam, whose shape is unrestricted - thus allowing a “splitter” lip which must not
    protrude beyond the body when viewed from above. The panel must be attached to the body or bumper cover (if the car is so
    equipped), but no support may extend aft of the forward-most part of the front fender wheel opening. However, there may be no openings
    in the horizontal plane between the integrated bumper and vertical face of the air dam (splitter) that allow the free flow of air.
    Any openings in the air dam must be ducted to either the brakes or the oil cooler.
    Mr. Moser’s design incorporates unducted openings, and is therefore non-compliant.
    DECISION
    The Court of Appeals upholds the determination of the Review Committee that the design is non-compliant; however, the basis for the
    non-compliance is not the attachment design, but rather the presence of the unducted openings.
    The Court of Appeals finds that Mr. Moser’s appeal is well founded and his appeal fee, less the amount retained by SCCA, will be

returned.
    Jim Hardesty
    ITC 1986 Honda Civic Diablo Rojo Verde
    Never argue your tab at the end of the night. Remember, you're hammered and they’re sober.

Beat me to it Jim. The COA has settled this and I keep a copy in the log book.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Settled? Which answer do you think they were giving?

a. Yes, the attachments are all good and the only problem is the openings.

b. The original ruling was based on the openings and we agree the openings are non-compliant and we ignore your request to rule on the attachment to the radiator support and fender liners.
    Jim Hardesty
    ITC 1986 Honda Civic Diablo Rojo Verde
    Never argue your tab at the end of the night. Remember, you're hammered and they’re sober.

I agree with Jim--no answer.

Some of this leads to some strange interpretations/results.

Integrated bumper cars have a whole lot more options in attaching the splitter/air dam. And it all turns on whether the bumper has a plastic or rubber cover on it. Old Z cars with metal bumpers have to have the spoler attached to the body. I (and 2nd Gen RX7s) get a larger airdam that protrudes out futher and is able to attach to the "integrated bumper assembly."

NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

I have a SPMS airdam as well for my EG. If it's similar to the EK kit, the attactment points include the bottom of the bumper cover for the airdam and the front lower side frames for the splitter. The airdam to the splitter is connected via 5-6 clips mounted on the top side of the splitter.

"A front spoiler/air dam is permitted. It shall not protrude beyond the overall outline of the body when viewed from above perpendicular to the ground, or aft of the forward most part of the front fender opening. This body outline does not include bumpers or bumper mounts. The spoiler/air dam shall be mounted to the body, and may extend no higher than four (4) inches above the horizontal centerline of the front wheel hubs. It shall not cover the normal grille opening(s) at the front of the car. Openings are permitted for the purposes of ducting air to the brakes, cooler, and radiator. Dealer installed or limited production front/rear spoilers/air dams/wings are prohibited. The spoiler shall have no support or reinforcement extending aft of the forward most part of the front fender wheel opening.

NOTE: Integrated bumper assemblies are defined as those designs where an external non-metallic bumper cover completely encloses the primary energy-absorbing bumper and where this cover could be installed in its normal position with the underlying bumper removed. On cars with integrated bumpers, the front spoiler or airdam may be attached to the bumper cover."

"Body – All parts of the car licked by the air stream and situated above the
    belly / floor with exception of the roll bar or cage. For Formula and Sports
    Racing cars, further exceptions are those units definitely associated with
    the function of the engine or transmission."

So, the SPMS kit is okay in attaching to the intergrated bumper cover. There is NO mention of being able to attach such a kit to the frame, since frame <> body. The rule does mention "no support or reinforcement extending aft of theforward most part of the front fender wheel opening." Given the last quoted stated, was the rule intented to allow have supports and reinforcements other than the body or bumper cover?

The SMSP kit does not include any openings, so the moser ruling does NOT apply specificially here. And yes I agree, the lack of ruling on attachment points leaves something to be desired... ugh.

I don't have a horse in this race since I have not installed my SPMS kit yet,
    Mickey
    '92 Honda Civic Si

There is NO mention of being able to attach such a kit to the frame, since frame <> body.
    Ah, but therein lies the rub when it comes to rules writing: while "if it doesn't say you can, then you cannot" (IIDSYCTYC, or the 'I.T. Principle'), do note that equally as important is "if it says you can then you bloody well can!" (the 'Roffe Corollary')

A complete lack of a rule means that it's not allowed; in other words, within IIDSYCTYC I don't have to write a rule that states "you can't lighten the piston rods" or "you can't move the pickup points" or you can't replace the windshield with Lexan" because it's expressly prohibited by the opening paragraphs of the ruleset. However, the very moment I write that "something is allowed"I now have the responsibility to restrict that "something" in every way possible, lest it be wide open.

In other words, the very moment you read "A front spoiler/airdam is permitted." that "something" - in this case, the front spoiler/airdam - is WIDE F*****G OPEN, subject only to subsequent restrictions. It's no different than if we started the engine mod rules with "engine modifications are allowed" and then trying to restrict them solely within the IT ruleset.

As such, you can do whatever the hell you want to with a front spoiler/airdam, as long as you meet all subsequent restrictions. This is exactly how we ended up with splitters in Improved Touring, despite they, also, not being specifically allowed. And, I do believe the product in question meets this to a "t"...

Fun, ain't it? If you want more fun, do a search for something like "Greg's recommendations to the rules writers" on this forum.

GA, racing season starts minus less than two months, and counting...

So the rule says it can be attached to the body and says the body is defined as parts of the car in the windstream not including bumpers or bumper mounts. Tells you how high and how low and how far back.

What's the question again?
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Actually says "shall be" attached to the body. Mandatory.

Unless you gots an integrated bumper.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Is an undertray licked by the airstream? A floor? of course they are. And it doesn't say you have to attach to the OUTside of the body...

Jeff, want me to design a compliant airdam/splitter for Rons Z that does everything that guys with integrated bumper covers can do? I can, it's easy.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

More to it than that (I know you can run attachments to the body, etc.).

Look at the body of the rule. On a NON-integrated bumper car, the spoiler has to be within the bodyoutling of the car. That means on the old Z cars, your spoiler has to be "behind" -- completely -- the bumper assembly.

On "integrated bumper" cars, the spoiler can attach to the bumper cover and can extend out to it. We -- integrated bumper cars -- have a distinct and I suspect unintended advantage.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

For GA - "We didn't start the fire It was always burning Since the world's been turning"

So there, I think we have a verdict. As long as the splitter attaches to the frame, it is not IT legal. Even with the SPMS kit, you should be able to design a self-supporting splitter by just using the airdam and bumper cover.

Wondering which event will be GA's first in 2010 and when will JeffL pm me with 'STFU' cause I am sick of writing posts but not really,
    Mickey
    Last edited by mossaidis; 02-02-2010 at 09:52 PM.
    '92 Honda Civic Si