Thread: so what e36 chassis is the prefered one to build?

Default so what e36 chassis is the prefered one to build?

I have my ITB car up for sale, and am thinking of building an e36. I like the fact that they are reasonably priced, parts seem readily available and you can run them in different series.

One thing I don't know is what is considered the "prefered" chassis? The 325is can run in both ITS and ITR, that's nice. Do I wan't a coupe or a sedan, or does it matter? Do I want a 318, 325, 328, i, is? Is there one year that's better than another?

What problems should I look for when searching for a car? I know that BMW's can have finicky tranny's. Are cylinder heads easy to come by?

Is there a good www site for IT build bmw's?

Thanks!
    hoop
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by iambhooper View Post
    I know that BMW's can have finicky tranny's.
    I've heard several complaints on BMW auto's, but never anything on a manual, and certainly not the E36. We got somewhere around 5 years (8-10 races a year, mostly 1.5 hour enduros) on the 100k mile used transmission that came in the car. Ask the Mazda guys about finicky tranny's...

Hoop.

My "finicky tranny" had 140,000 miles on it 7 years and 120 races ago and it's still going strong!!

I've got a 4 door and a 2 door. I don't think it matters, the two door is lower and wider. The 4 door is easier to clean the inside of the rear windows!!

James Clay at bimmerworld.com has been real helpful in giving me the straight scoop on what to do and what not to do.

I LOVE MY E36 RACECAR. I've been racing sedans for 30 years now and this is the best racecar I've ever had.
    John Norris
    #07 ITS/R BMW 325is
    #07 ITS BMW 325
    Sponsors:
    GREEN FLASH BEER
    GT International BMW Service since 1976

When refering to the tranny's, I have seen a few cars that seem to have synchro problems... but that could be a result of an owner that didn't need to have a manual. I'm very aware of theMazda tranny problems.

I didn't realize that there was that kind of difference in the 2 door vs 4 door. So which one offers better stability in the corners?

Thanks!
    hoop
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

the stock e36 325 transmission is not as stong as the zf which came in the e36 328 and e36 m3, however I believe that the zf is not legal in the 325. with a used getrag you can get one season or three seasons. I have seen brand new getrags straight from BMW blow up after a couple seasons. also a 4-door is more sturdy with the extra pillar. If your looking for a donor car and come across a 2-door I would not pass it up. 92 is non vanos(dual valve springs from factory).
    Last edited by hondaman321; 02-02-2010 at 05:18 PM.

My 2 door has 7 years and 120 races on the used Getrag. My 4 door has 1 25 hour and many 3 hour races with numerous different drivers on it's used Getrag also.

I think you'll be fine with the gearbox.

As for 4 door vs 2 door. My 4 door "felt" better on the track, but that might just have been because everything was new. I prefer the look of the two door, but would probably recommend you take the first good donar car that comes along.
    John Norris
    #07 ITS/R BMW 325is
    #07 ITS BMW 325
    Sponsors:
    GREEN FLASH BEER

I agree with norris any good donor car will do.

I'm rather partial to my e-36/7 same weight as the 325 with the ZF transmission. I also get the chassis x-brace, and if I desire wind in my hair
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

i'm sure the Z3's are a blast... however donor's don't turn up at a reasonable price (to me).

so is the '92 considered better because of the dual valve springs? what advantage does that offer?
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

Also the Z3 has semi trailing arms. Which can make the car even more fun to drive, but I think the multilink that the E36 uses is more tuneable and more drivable.
    I'm under the impression that '94 is the year to get because it has Vanos. You might want to check on that.
    John Norris
    #07 ITS/R BMW 325is
    #07 ITS BMW 325
    Sponsors:
    GREEN FLASH BEER

The 92 is the only year without VANOS, and is also down half a point on compression.

Donner car's not as important as it used to be, becuse you can use any of the e-36 motors as long as the chassis is the same.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

e36 non vanos's are not better just different. With the vanos motor you have the stock valve springs which are not that strong and if you bring a car up to redline alot they can break. Alot of people cheat and use the larger e36 m3 one that are tapered and that resolves the issue, however just saying the the 92 non-vanos has the dual ones from the factory. With the new vin rule you could really get any chassis and then pair up a motor and classify the car at that point. ITR is def up and coming and ITS is dying out.
    Last edited by hondaman321; 02-04-2010 at 08:01 PM.

so from a reliability standpoint, the earlier head is more durable than the later design. i'm familiar with the vin rule, that's how i changed the CRX to ITB.
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

the two engines are very similar. I was just letting you know the difference, however since the vanos motor was around longer it may be better to go with that option 93-95 e36 and i believe 92-95 e34. The non-vanos was only in 92 e36 and early e34's so they are not as common if you need replacement and I think the ecu's are different and harder to come by.

OK, so I'm hooked on the ITR/ITS group. I had never driven a BMW until I got a 325 in a trade a few weeks ago and I was impressed. It is now my daily driver. I just purchased a 1996 328 from an insurance auction for the interior and have decided to cage it for ITR. The engine has a rod sticking out the side so if anyone wants to sell one let me know. Anyone want to give up their info on shock/spring/bar info? Any help is appreciated!