Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SCCA National Convention

Default SCCA National Convention

Check out the SCCA Website - IT's own Kevin Ruck is awarded the Jim Fitzgerald Award for the Top National Racing Rookie for 2009!!!!!!!!
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

HUGE congrats to tKR!!
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Awesome - pic and all!
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Cool!
    Ed Funk
    NER ITA CRX, ITB Civic, ITC CRX (wanna buy a Honda?)
    Smart as a horse, hung like Einstein!

Congrats Kevin.
    Mac Spikes
    Cresson, TX (Home of "The Original" MotorSport Ranch)
    "To hell with you Gen. Sheridan...I 'll take Texas!"

Thanks a lot guys! Sitting in the Vegas airport about to head back to frigid Ohio. This has been an incredibly fun and very educational weekend for me, so to also win this award during it too, is a pretty huge honor. Just to see the names of the guys who have previously won this award, is kind of mind blowing. Got to meet an amazing array of people, and really get to know many of the "powers that be" in this club. You really have no realization of the scope of this club, how many people it touches, and just how much it takes to make it run until you come out to something like this.

Plus, after the banquets yesterday, I couldn't miss at blackjack last night - haha!
    Last edited by R2 Racing; 01-31-2010 at 04:38 PM.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

Kevin, did you pick up any rumblings at the convention about the rift between the ITAC and the CRB?
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)

Ha ha, the CRB just gave him a huge award! He's not looking for trouble! Can't say as I blame him.

he brings up a point, the clubs a biiiig place. I'm afraid that to them, we, the IT guys, are not on the day to day "get noticed" sector.

I'd love it if somebody from the BoD level could dispute the statement: "Yea, we heard about some issues, but, we can't just change the way the club works* for IT".

*As in, for example, follow Marty's sage advice. Which, by the way, echoes other comments and suggestions in other letters I've read.
    Jake Gulick

for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    I'd love it if somebody from the BoD level could dispute the statement: "Yea, we heard about some issues, but, we can't just change the way the club works* for IT".

*As in, for example, follow Marty's sage advice. Which, by the way, echoes other comments and suggestions in other letters I've read.
    Got one response so far:
    Your points are good. We'll be watching very closely to see if it goes sideways, but the CRB is our official source and we on the BoD need to respect the process.
    Thanks for your input and time in the club.
    ML
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)

That's a funny response, considering "respecting the process" is the issue....
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

Thumbs up ConGrats

Kevin, congratulatiions from the Weaver crew
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle7 View Post
    Kevin, did you pick up any rumblings at the convention about the rift between the ITAC and the CRB?
    Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    Ha ha, the CRB just gave him a huge award! He's not looking for trouble! Can't say as I blame him.
    Damn Jake, you think I'd sell out?!

Saturday morning was the CRB Town Hall meeting, and I did indeed stand up, introduce myself (because up to that point few knew who I was), and asked for (in few words) just a feel on the issues. Honestly, I wanted to just hear their side of it, as I know there's always 2-3 sides to every story. A dialogue occured, and I had several people come up to me afterwards thanking me for doing it. After the Town Hall meeting, I got to privately talk with Bob Dowey (CRB Chairman) a little bit and then later extensively with Jim Drago. I also talked some with BOD members Robin Langlotz and Dick Patullo. Unbelievably informative, and just really, really cool to be able to privately, one-on-one talk with all of these guys over the course of a couple of hours. It's actually quite humbling; these are real people just like you or I who honestly believe they're just trying to do what's best for the club. It's hard to remember that when they're just labeled as "that big, bad CRB!", with no face or personal touch to it; a bad way to form opinions. As for what I was told, I'm debating on wether or not I want to actually make a public write up on that - probably not. In a very brief summary, I'll just say that I don't feel it's a complete diagreement in the theory/method/process, but more an issue with specific things within it. I don't believe the whole thing is dead, and I don't believe the sky is falling. I think egos and feelings were flexed and hurt on both sides of things, both by the CRB and the ITAC, and if given a little time to cool off, the issue could certainly be revisited again. No, the resignation of several ITAC members has not helped, not surprisingly. But even just within the CRB, feelings on the subject are very widely spread. Note: I am not going to quote here what anyone has specifically told me, or really even name who specifically felt in any particular way. This stuff is just all my feeling and opinion!

Anyways, after all of this went on over the course of about 8am-noon on Saturday morning, the CRB were STILL happy to give me the award around 2pm that afternoon!
    Kevin
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

Quote Originally Posted by R2 Racing View Post
    Saturday morning was the CRB Town Hall meeting, and I did indeed stand up, introduce myself (because up to that point few knew who I was), and asked for (in few words) just a feel on the issues. Honestly, I wanted to just hear their side of it, as I know there's always 2-3 sides to every story. A dialogue occured, ...

Note: I am not going to quote here what anyone has specifically told me, or really even name who specifically felt in any particular way. This stuff is just all my feeling and opinion!
    Thank you for that . I just wanted to get a sense of whether it was recognized as a hot topic that needs some attention.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)

Cross-posting from the other thread:

I got a nice reply to my BOD letter from Jerry Wannarka, Chairman of the BOD.

In short summary, he assured me they (BOD and CRB, in a joint meeting) discussed the "IT situation" last week at the Convention. We can expect a post from Mr. Dowie, CRB Chairman, on the SCCA Forums sometime this week addressing the situation.

Stay tuned...
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Quote Originally Posted by 924Guy View Post
    We can expect a post from Mr. Dowie, CRB Chairman, on the SCCA Forums sometime this week addressing the situation.

Stay tuned...
    Bob told me he was thinking about doing that. They (the CR are well aware of the talk going on about this on the internet, and quite frankly kind of wish it wasn't. But, they recignize that this is 2010 and this is going to happen, no matter how much they wish it wouldn't. Just don't expect this means there's then going to be an open discussion and debate on the SCCA forum! There will not! They all also knew that by the time they got home from the convention, they were probably going to be swamped with emails/letters about this. I just said "Uhh, yeah, just a few...."
    Kevin
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

Quote Originally Posted by R2 Racing View Post
    Bob told me he was thinking about doing that. They (the CR are well aware of the talk going on about this on the internet, and quite frankly kind of wish it wasn't. But, they recignize that this is 2010 and this is going to happen, no matter how much they wish it wouldn't. Just don't expect this means there's then going to be an open discussion and debate on the SCCA forum! There will not! They all also knew that by the time they got home from the convention, they were probably going to be swamped with emails/letters about this. I just said "Uhh, yeah, just a few...."
    See, that's where the train falls off the tracks.

Private back channel communications and emails etc allow people to push their positions, and those can be 'customized" to make the receiving party more partial to acceptance. But public statements are read by all, and can be forwarded to any. They have to stand up. So, I am pleased that they will make a public statement.

(Although the SCCA forum isn't as 'public' as it could be, LOL. I see the logic, and it's workable)

But, without actual debate, those statements can't be vetted.

This is a situation where there are opposing viewpoints.

Debate and discussion are part of the transparency that is being called for in, I bet, every letter they get on the subject.
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

If they are going to post it and run, why choose that media to post the information? Doesn't make sense to me. An article in Sportscar (ooooh, that might let other people in categories know IT racers are annoyed), an e-mail using that group thing they developed, fastrack... Just find it interesting but at least it's a step towards actually communicating. Oh the irony. They complain about people discussing it on chat forums and that's where they'll post their response.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Kevin beat me to the mic and I'm glad he did because he did a much better job with the subject than I ever could have.

Thanks and Congrats to Kevin.
    Jerry

Lone Star Regional Executive
    Lone Star Tech Chief.

As I said on the sandbox, don't be disappointed if we don't get everything we wanted and hoped for first time 'round. Persistence and focus will win. If at first you don't succeed - Club Racing may not be for you.

The subject of the lack of discussion/debate expected or allowed on the official SCCA forums is a good one. A few points, from my point of view...

1) It's appropriate to have any such communication occur there, since those are the official forums. Almost like it's a legal or club rules requirement. That's OK.

2) Board members have already shown up on these forums sharing input, officially or not. They have shown they're willing to share viewpoints here. I would say it's safe to expect a continued presence, now that they know we're here and talking about 'em.

3) If they don't like discussion there, and won't accept any further input... then what, we're done??? Is that what we said when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!?

Really, like we're that disingenious? Of course not! We will, by our very nature, continue to talk about them, behind or in front of their backs! They will have every opportunity, like it or not, to participate in those discussions!

If they choose not to participate, and pursue a policy path that is not in line with what we like - well, then, we have to get their attention again, no? Letters seem to work pretty well, based on the response so far! Why not continue to correspond with them?

If we turn around and walk away after the first period, do we have anyone else than ourselves to blame??

Final note: If we're concerned that the board members will not be interested in joining us in discussion about the future of IT - should we not do everything we can to make them welcome in the discussions??? I think the first step towards that is to be open-minded, considerate, and respectful. Name calling, slander, abuse, etc - fine, do those all you want, just don't expect anything more than a response in kind (if at all). Remember, you catch more flies with honey...
    Last edited by 924Guy; 02-01-2010 at 02:50 PM.
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com