Thread: Would this MR2 be an IT car?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Would this MR2 be an IT car?

I'm new to IT racing and am looking to possibly pick up a car and go racing this year. One car I have my eyes on is an 86 MR2. It hasn't been classed in IT, but ran in GT-3 class under COMMA at the Hallett, OK track.
    I have been searching around trying to get more details on the COMMA GT-3 class to see what that parallels with in SCCA.

From the COMMA rule book: "COMMA operates cars in
    two broad categories: closed and open wheel. The Closed-wheel classes are:
    GT1, GT2, GT3, Production Stock A (PA), Production Stock Super (PS),
    SpecMiata (SM)"
    I have found some people run IT cars in their GT-3 class, but not sure if it works the other way.

The seller bought this car already race prepared and it was reliable. They haven't had to put a new motor in or anything, but they do know that the motor has been replaced before. It has a few bolt ons, but nothing that seems out of place for an IT car to my knowledge.

I like the MR2 platform, and it seems to be a reliable racer. I don't want to have to spend a whole lot of money on it though to get it into IT.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

it looks like the dash has been replaced, not a legal modification for IT.

if you're not set on this particular car, i'm local to you and can help you find one.

email me anytime; [email protected]
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

Good catch on the dash. That could be just the tip of the iceberg for all I know. I have yet to find COMMA GT-3 specs, so I have no idea what they allow.
    I am not set on a particular vehicle (though I do think an MR2 would be fun). I would prefer rear wheel drive, but to get started I am mostly looking for something that is pretty solid that has available parts.

how much are you looking to spend on a car and per season?

are you opposed to miatas? there's a decent BMW down here in KC for sale too.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region

I would be fine with a Miata or BMW, but they seem to be out of my price range. Right now I'm looking at around $3000. I also don't have a trailer yet. So car and trailer $4000-4500 total if possible. I originally didn't think that I would be able to get a car this year, but cars have been popping up that are in my price range.

That's not very much, but you're right, there are cars out there for that.

I'd suggest adding first gen rx-7s to your search list. I'll keep an eye out.
    Travis Nordwald
    1996 ITA Miata
    KC Region