Thread: Help! Durability of Kumho V710, Hoosier R6

Default Help! Durability of Kumho V710, Hoosier R6

OK, I'm throwing this out there.

Not talking about cost, OR performance, OR ease of use, OR contingencies. But instead, DURABILITY.

How does the Kumho V710 compare with the Hoosier R6? In other words, how many FULL race weekends could one "normally" expect to get out of each brand? (By "normally" I mean just that. I don't mean hustling a car around like a Hollywood stunt driver, or timidly taking corners as if on eggshells.)

Any replies will be sincerely appreciated.
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang
    1st place-2008 Great Lakes Division Championship Series
    1st place-2009 Kryderacing Series

Can only speak to the R6, which is a great tire. Heat cycle it and store it right, and you can get 3-4 full weekends (two qual and race sessions) out of them on my car. 12-16 heat cycles.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

My car is reasonably easy on tires...710s easily lasted a season...5-6 race weekends. Still had rubber left and were still fast. Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

I've ran both and the Kumho's will last longer and still have good grip. On average about 4-5 more heat cycles. The other thing I like about the Kumho is they seem to stay more consistant through out the race. I ran the R6 for a year and have been running the Kumho for 2 years now.
    Darryl Pritchett
    ITA #92 Dodge Neon
    2008 SE DP Champion
    2010 CFL Region ITA Champion

In an HPDE evironment (didnt have a race license till last year)

over the course of 2yrs i ran 12days of 4x 20-30min sessions with the 710s

tossed them on for a test session last july cause they still had rubber left but they were 3yrs old and had gotten pretty darn hard and very little grip left.

for someone who is still starting out in racing i cant justify the price difference for the R6s with how long that ive seen the 710s last. i know i wont run infront with the 710s but right now they arent whats holding me back

as of right now i have a set of710s sitting in the basement in bags that had 2 full race weekends on them and 1 test day. ( 4 races, 4 qaul, 3 test sessions) still look brand new.

hope this helps

I have only run the R6 and would say that in my experience i get 3 competitive weekends out of them. 9 heat cycles.. (my driving is not very tire friendly.)

Just get the Hoosiers. The economy needs stimulating!

Only one weekend on R6. 7 sessions - 1 practice, 2 qual, 4 races, all about 15-20 mins. per session. In other words, 2 hours on track. If I am lucky maybe they can be used later for 2 short sessions at a practice day.
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT

Chris, are you looking at the BFG R-1's at all. From what most people say they are almost as fast and last way longer from a consistency standpoint as well as heat cycle. The other tire you should look at is the Hankook.

Not sure what size you are running but they do have lots of Mustang friendly 16" & 17" sizes.
    1987 ITS RX-7
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Currently borrowing tow vehicles!!

Central Carolina Region

STEELERS SIX PACK!!

Quote Originally Posted by cjb25hs View Post
    Chris, are you looking at the BFG R-1's at all. From what most people say they are almost as fast and last way longer from a consistency standpoint as well as heat cycle. The other tire you should look at is the Hankook.

Not sure what size you are running but they do have lots of Mustang friendly 16" & 17" sizes.
    I'd like to consider the BFG, but they don't make the tire in my preferred size of 245/45/17. And from what I understand, the Hankook can have supply issues. So right now it's Hoosiers or Kumhos.

Thanks to everybody who has weighed in. I'm trying to get away from running Toyos and Nittos for something faster. After getting some experience at the level of the V710 or R6, I will then attempt to move up to the Hoosier A6, which I understand to be the uber-goo of racing tires. (Even though the A6 was developed for auto-x.)
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang

The A6 may be OK in a strange season--weatherwise--like we had last year.

Otherwise go with the R6--you have a heavy car.

Default Kumhov710,Hoosier R6

Most of the guys that run Hoosier in AS run the A6 for some reason they are the best tire for that group. I agree with cjb25hs the Hankook is a really good tire for the price. Most of the Guys that run out of McB Autosport have switched to the Hankook. You may thing abourt using the 245/40/17 as an option very popular for BMWCCA IP cars.
    AJ Anselm
    BMW 318 E prod

Competition Chair for Steel Cities
    stcscca.com

Quote Originally Posted by Aanselm View Post
    Most of the guys that run Hoosier in AS run the A6 for some reason they are the best tire for that group. I agree with cjb25hs the Hankook is a really good tire for the price. Most of the Guys that run out of McB Autosport have switched to the Hankook. You may thing abourt using the 245/40/17 as an option very popular for BMWCCA IP cars.
    Many of the top guys in nationals use the A6. While it may be a bit slower than the R6 over an entire race distance, it warms up quicker and is faster than the R6 during the initial 1-2 laps of a race.

Using the A6 is a strategic choice because it helps you to gain or solidify position in that crucial 1-2 lap time frame before things become processional. And because the tire isn't that much slower than the R6 once both are thoroughly heated up, the A6 still enables you to hold off cars trying to overtake.

The bad thing about the A6 is cost and durability. You're lucky if you get 200 miles out of a set, or so I'm told. Also, the A6 is very difficult to consistently drive on the edge of adhesion due to its vague feedback characteritics. It takes much practice with this type of compound to know its handling limits. Definitely not a tire for just anyone...
    Last edited by RedMisted; 01-28-2010 at 01:30 AM.
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by RedMisted View Post
    Many of the top guys in nationals use the A6. While it may be a bit slower than the R6 over an entire race distance, it warms up quicker and is faster than the R6 during the initial 1-2 laps of a race.

Using the A6 is a strategic choice because it helps you to gain or solidify position in that crucial 1-2 lap time frame before things become processional. And because the tire isn't that much slower than the R6 once both are thoroughly heated up, the A6 still enables you to hold off cars trying to overtake.

The bad thing about the A6 is cost and durability. You're lucky if you get 200 miles out of a set, or so I'm told. Also, the A6 is very difficult to consistently drive on the edge of adhesion due to its vague feedback characteritics. It takes much practice with this type of compound to know its handling limits. Definitely not a tire for just anyone...
    Chris - thats the best part of racing. To find out what the limits of your tires are
    You will be absolutly amazed switching from the Nitto's to the V710's or R6's. What a world of difference. So much more confidence!
    Greg Vandersluis
    #4 1990 Honda Civic Si
    #97 2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
    #93 2006 Ford Mustang
    Carbotech/BFGoodrich/Vandersluis Motorsports
    2010 Great Lakes Division ITA Champion
    2012 Great Lakes Division T1 Champion