Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ITAC changes. Chairman resigns.

Default ITAC changes. Chairman resigns.

I have gotten official word that the ITAC chairman, Andy Bettencourt has resigned.

(for those who don't know, ITAC is the IT advisory Committee that is charges with setting race weights, classs structure and writing/changing rules, and operates under the CRB.)

Andy can explain his reasoning better than I of course, and it's his place to do so, not mine. But, I know it's safe to say that he has issues with the methods and direction of the CRB, relative to what he feels the membership wants for the category.

As members of this site arr IT racers with a vested interest, I thought you should know.

Andy has been a tireless champion of IT, and has walked a fine line between the different forces. He has really gotten better thru the years and is irreplaceable.

It's not a good day for IT.

A broader base forum has a discussion thread regarding this and other IT matters over on RR/AX, if you'd like to read what a broader base has to say.

http://roadraceautox.com/showthread.php?t=27390.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

That's really not good as that would be #3 in less than 6 months.
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

I'm sorry to hear of Andy's resignation. I feel that he, like Kirk, always had a proper vision for IT and were doing the right thing. Given what I perceive about the ITAC/CRB relationship I do not blame him and all. Sad day.

Andy, thanks for all the work on our behalf.
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 01-26-2010 at 03:10 PM.

Ugh. Not good. Not good at all. Beginning to look like 1789 all over again...

Sigh.

I look forward to Andy's side of the story; do keep us posted in the meantime...

GA

(P.S. I've been avoiding RRAX for a while now; as I explained to someone else, that place has become much like when you're digging through your dog's s**t in search of the gold trinket he swallowed, and when you find it you're wondering if it was worth the hassle...)

There really isn't a 'side' to the story. After months of consideration and reconsideration I simply believe it was time for me to move on. The vision I have (and have had) for IT, the way it should be governed, etc isn't meshing with the way the CRB wants to do things. This was NOT a quick decision, it was one I did not want to make and took many hours of thought and discussions with good friends and fellow members.

I have valued my time on the committee and am honored to have been chosen to participate by Rick Pocock. The teams I have worked with over the past 6 years have been awesome, both on the ITAC and the CRB.

I have conveyed what I perceive is best for IT, what I feel the members want and I feel at this time that the CRB is going in different directions. It's dissappointing but it happens. I have taken some hits and realize that currently, the war is not winnable for me so I needed to make way for new blood.

Thanks to all.
    Last edited by Andy Bettencourt; 01-26-2010 at 02:29 PM.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Andy - we all appreciate the hard work and leadership. When it's time- it's time...

(Dammit - now the man won't be so friggin distracted he's only going to get faster....:-)

Greg - hit the nail on the head - no gold trinket in that pile...this site is a classier place
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Andy - Thanks for all you did and do. You are a class act and we are better for that.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Anthony

What Greg A. said

k

All I can say is, from what I know about Andy this is a really bad sign. Kirk & Scott weren't so much the shockers, but if they frustrated Andy to the point that he tossed the towel that really says a lot - and none of it good.

I've pretty much given up on the current CRB and BoD - until we get some fresh blood in both places things aren't going to change. I would suggest that's where we focus our efforts, in getting the word out for the upcoming Board election, and trying to get some new faces in the chairs. FWIW, 3 of the 4 Board members up for re-election this year (Wannarka, Sheridan, Creighton) were among the 7 who recently voted to ignore the wishes of the membership, and their own CRB, in casting their votes for the H&N requirement; and the fourth (Noble) abstained from voting on the issue. I know that is only one issue, but that gets each of those candidates a huge check in the minus column from where I stand.
    Last edited by erlrich; 01-26-2010 at 03:59 PM. Reason: typing pwns me...
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

Quote Originally Posted by erlrich View Post
    Kirk & Scott weren't so much the shockers...
    Giles, too?!?

"Boom, baby!"

Who's next...?

And, via email, I get the answer to that last question.

Sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    And, via email, I get the answer to that last question.

Sigh...
    For some reason the images of large rodents and ships sinking keep popping into my head....
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

That's a huge loss for the IT community. Andy, sorry to see you go but can understand your concerns and frustation.
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Yup.

When loose cannons like Giles and I go away, it's arguably because we're busted rather than the system. But the impact of Andy's loss cannot be overstated.

K

I had hoped you guys would keep kicking on the inside while some of us pushed from the outside. Fully understand why you gave it up and cannot say enough thanks for the time and effort involved in getting IT as far as it is now. Guess we just have to start kicking the horse in the ass again.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Giles, too?!?

"Boom, baby!"

Who's next...?
    Straight answer?
    Me.
    I sent my resignation letter in today. Last nights con call sealed the deal. The CRB was clear in their direction, and it's not what the members have told me they want. I work for the member, not against him.

Andy was lucky not to be on the call.

For those of you counting, in the past 3(?) months we have lost: Kirk Knestis..a guy with a PHD in policy. The ITAC is ALL about policy. Seemed like a perfect match. And Scott Giles. Honda expert and IT big picture guy extraordinaire. Andy Betterncourt: Great tightrope walker, and explainer of things unexplanable. Got the "big picture". And now me: All of us left, I think it's safe to say, not because we were too big for our britches, but because we believe that the CRB isn't in tune with our bosses, the members.
    Last edited by lateapex911; 01-26-2010 at 08:24 PM.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Andy, Jake, many thanks for all the hard work.....

Not sure where I stand yet, don't want to make a too swift decision.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Wow - if this doesn't send a message what does?
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Jake, thanks for all the work on behalf of us ITers. Again, I am sorry to another respected member resign but it is what it is. All of you fellows did a great job and I think IT is in a much better place due to your labors.

Now, focus on racing and enjoy IT for as long as you can before the CRB takes it some place where we all don't want it to go. All this really makes me consider if I want to build that next IT car or not. Maybe the Z is the end of my IT career.

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    Straight answer?
    Me.
    I sent my resignation letter in today. ...
    Hoo, boy.

When are those BoD elections again?

K