Thread: Quick question on Delrin Bushings

Default Quick question on Delrin Bushings

1986 Rx-7
    I went to install the Lower A-arm busings which I bought from MMR-Direct. They seem to be very tight and I do not want to force them on and crack them. My question is should I heat them up? (maybe put them in boiling water to soften them)Or will they flex enough when I press them on? I have never used UHMW/delrin before and just do not want to screw things up. I am mainly talking about the bushings at the back that just slide over the nipple.
    Thanks
    CIII

The rear of the arms is a very rough casting and sometimes you need to clean up the high spots to get them to fit right. Do not mess with the bushing. Just sand down the rough high spots. If you press it on it will bind the suspension. Install with a quality high temp grease.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

I was also thinking about drilling a small hole and installing a zert fitting in the rear bushings to keep them lubed up. Has anyone done this or is it just overkill?
    CIII

Quote Originally Posted by cherbi7 View Post
    I am mainly talking about the bushings at the back that just slide over the nipple.
    Thanks
    You are talking about the front control arm, rear mount it looks like. The MMR bushings need to be pressed on. They aren't going to crack if you use a press (stay away from hammering). It's a snug fit, even after you get them installed back on the car but they should loosen up after a bit. The barbs on the control make it a very tight fit.
    Mark B. - Dallas, TX
    #76 RX-7 2nd Gen
    SCCA EP
    Former ITS, ITE, NASA PT

Default More ?s

What is a good starter tire? I know nothing about the tires out there for this car. If someone could point me in the general direction on a good compound or brand. I cannot spend a fortune so I guess I would be looking for something durable and inexpensive just so I can get some good track time with them. Also are there any pointers on buying used tires other than the obvious look for dry rot and what not...

I was also wondering if anyone had pictures of how they attached their sunroof.

Thanks a lot.
    CIII