Thread: Alternate 240Z rear brakes...?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by acotyk View Post
    Thanks to everyone that has responded, there’s a lot to digest here on the subject.
    Acotyk, Your well reasoned, respectful manner in which you have responded is to be commended . I may be taking your comments the wrong way but I feel like you are attempting to make the "club" work for its members which has not always been the case. Even though I may disagree with you , I applaud your efforts and it has made me reconsider some of my opinions about racing an older car. I look forward to racing alongside of you in a Z and sharing a beverage in the paddock after the race.

I also ask the entire group, how do we age out a car in IT? Seriously, I don't want to stop racing my Z and I am sure there are some 510, RX7, Borgward, etc. drivers that want to continue, but how do we limit when a car must stop racing? Do we simply make concessions, such as discussed here when parts are NLA, to keep them racing? Can we create a "process" by which a car should be aged out? Is it even in the best interest of the club to consider aging out cars? Just thinking out loud, Can you tell it is the silly season??

BTW, I don't like the idea that "we should just go find something else to race" mentatlity but that certainly is one solution.

Paul
    Paul Ballance
    Tennessee Valley Region (yeah it's in Alabama)
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z
    "Experience is what you get when you're expecting something else." unknown

Paul, opinions on this vary.

It's really rather personal. Some see race cars as tools. Pro racers especially. Some see them as old dear friends. I race to win. I pat my car on the dash when I do. So I guess I'm a bit of both!

But, pragmatically, I understand that core philosophies exist to serve a group at large. So, I understand when my little 'issue' might need to just be dealt with by me, as opposed to changing the entire groups methods.

So, in your case, you can deal with the issue by running a setup that will generate less heat, or deal with it better. pads/shoes are free. Fabricate custom internal shoe finning and run multiple ducts. How would the F1 engineers handle the limitations? Think out of the box. Often we can be surprised when we see solutions we didn't think of. They DO exist sometimes!

Or, accept the limitation and adapt the driving etc. When the RX-7 was an obvious non runner in ITA, we in the New England Region bought a trophy and gave it to the guy who won that race in an RX-7. It was fun!.

Not the answers you want, just some thoughts.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Remember when Spock did the Vulkan mind meld with Uhura and he almost died. Kirk had to pull him away, when asked if he was ok he replied with “a mass of conflicting emotion”. I am having this same Spock moment trying to understand the logic behind these rules. By the way they don’t show this episode on TV anymore, I’m sure you can figure out why! Suppose this is why there are so many issues with the ITAC!

Hi John Herman, good to know your still out there. If John is right about the SS changes that then became part of IT for the GM rear disks, then why would the SS rules carry over to IT in violation of base IT rules Specification section 9.1.3.c. Could it be that safety really was the reason as stated would be allowed in section 9.1.3.b to “construct a safe race car”. If so, then what are the rules for determining safety? Since dual purpose no longer applies and “we will give you a place to race your car and have fun” is still in play, I would argue that with the tire, shock brake compound and other technology improvements over the years allowing for overall faster lap times these days that constantly driving around the brake technology of the early Z cars is not fun! A Z driven at 10/10th will have brake issues at all the tracks in my area, Chicago, other than Nelson Ledges and only 7/10th at some tracks will cause problems. I have had rear shoes delaminate, wheel cylinders freeze and seal blow outs that caused fluid fires. What are the requirement to determine a safe race car? Not being able to get the aluminum drums that were stock on these (I called Courtesy Nissan in TX and they have no rear drums for the 240z iron or aluminum) and looking at using remanufacture replacements or an iron after market drum (Can't post the web link but go to the Courtesy Nissan Part site)
    I would also argue that if the GM exception was for rule 9.1.3.a, “opportunity to compete in low cost cars with limited modifications, suitable for racing competition” that this would apply to the Z (or maybe any other car with rear drums). Race cars with drum brakes! Boy let’s make that a rule in the pro ranks and then you will have a show!

Bottom line for me: The GM exception has opened the door. It should not be the only set of cars allowed to enter that door. I, like Andy, don’t want to see any cars leave IT so requiring a retrofit to the GM cars does not seem fair. SM has done a good enough job of that already let alone the economy. I would like to continue to race my Z in the SCCA and running iron drums does not seem to be within the rules. Simple answer > apply the rules equally and allow the disk conversion of an alternate model Nissan as was done with the GM cars.

Quote Originally Posted by LLoughman View Post
    I would like to continue to race my Z in the SCCA and running iron drums does not seem to be within the rules. Simple answer > apply the rules equally and allow the disk conversion of an alternate model Nissan as was done with the GM cars.
    That's quite the gargantuan leap of logic there...

Get a Nissan dealer to write you a note that steel/iron drums are the Nissan superceded parts for aluminum drums.

Easy peasy...sans leaps.
    Last edited by Greg Amy; 01-28-2010 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LLoughman View Post
    ... Simple answer > apply the rules equally and allow all cars to run the same GM rear brakes as the Oldsmobiles.
    Ta-da!

K