Thread: Alternate 240Z rear brakes...?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by LLoughman View Post
    I will be posting a notice to the comp board to either revoke the GM disk as stated in their reply to acotyk

Man, that's REALLY gonna piss off all those Achieva racers............

Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    Man, that's REALLY gonna piss off all those Achieva racers............

And the Calais drivers. BTW, this was a carryover from the late SS days, not an IT "derived" rule.
    Last edited by John Herman; 01-25-2010 at 02:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Herman View Post
    And the Calais drivers.
    So when are you going to dust that thing off and drive it?
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle7 View Post
    So when are you going to dust that thing off and drive it?
    Once I get just a little bit farther in this school thing which has forced me into retirement, I hope to get back out there. Hopefully, maybe, I'll get it out to Grattan to do a couple of test days this summer, but I still need to but the engine back together.

Quote Originally Posted by John Herman View Post
    ...Hopefully, maybe, I'll get it out to Grattan to do a couple of test days this summer, but I still need to but the engine back together.
    Wohoo! I'll try not to hit you.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

I have been racing 240Z's since 1990 and have owned them even longer. The aluminum finned drum brakes are shown/pictured in several places in the original shop manual, they are also noted in the factory sales brochures I have. They are original equipment. Since the factory aluminum units are no longer available I feel changing over to the later 280ZX rear disc would be ok. Yes, I know it pushes the upadate back date rule. But SCCA "let the horse out of the barn" twenty years ago when they allowed the General Motors guys to change over from rear drums and bearings and axle assembly on the Olds Calais and Acheivea to disc. So a precedent has been set. I do not want to reverse that decision because it would take out many needed competitors and participatants in the club. I we should look forward and as any of these vehicles age and parts are no longer avaliable. I feel an update is neccessary to keep grassroots motorsports alive and going forward.
    Thanks
    Steve Barth Ann Arbor,Mi - Detroit/GreatLakes Region
    ITS Datsun 240Z

Just curious, when was the last time one of the Olds was seen racing?
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    Just curious, when was the last time one of the Olds was seen racing?
    There was one at Road Atlanta in ITS this summer. Didn't see it at the ARRC though.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Barth View Post
    I have been racing 240Z's since 1990 and have owned them even longer. The aluminum finned drum brakes are shown/pictured in several places in the original shop manual, they are also noted in the factory sales brochures I have. They are original equipment. Since the factory aluminum units are no longer available I feel changing over to the later 280ZX rear disc would be ok. Yes, I know it pushes the upadate back date rule. But SCCA "let the horse out of the barn" twenty years ago when they allowed the General Motors guys to change over from rear drums and bearings and axle assembly on the Olds Calais and Acheivea to disc. So a precedent has been set. I do not want to reverse that decision because it would take out many needed competitors and participatants in the club. I we should look forward and as any of these vehicles age and parts are no longer avaliable. I feel an update is neccessary to keep grassroots motorsports alive and going forward.
    Thanks
    Steve Barth Ann Arbor,Mi - Detroit/GreatLakes Region
    ITS Datsun 240Z
    Mark that down as another unintended vote for writing out the GM exception. We can NOT allow one stupid non-decision somewhere back in the dark ages of IT to establish a precedent that dramatically alters a major first principle of the category.

K

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    Mark that down as another unintended vote for writing out the GM exception. We can NOT allow one stupid non-decision somewhere back in the dark ages of IT to establish a precedent that dramatically alters a major first principle of the category.

K
    Agreed.

If I were on the ITAC, I'd sponsor that, and I'd suggest a sunset clause.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com