Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1988 Porsche 911

Default 1988 Porsche 911

I've been looking through the '09 GCR and can't find an IT class for the 1988 porsche 911. Did I miss it? or is there no IT class for '88's?

Thanks,

Pete
    88 Targa
    01 C320
    02 Carrera 2
    RennKleen.com

Unless you back date it to pre-83 specs, ITE is the only class. Join the club!
    Anthony
    STU Porsche 944T
    ITB Volvo 142 (in the making)

LOL, yeah, time to start chasing 'Vettes!
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Pete
    Sadly, the SCCA has been scared of the Porsche cars since the late fifties when "the Giant Killer" known as Bruce Jennings to the rest of the world, cleaned everyones clock with a 356 Carrera. Ever since then the club has tended to classify the Porsche cars at a disadvantage.
    You would think that this would change somewhat in the modern era with the club looking for all the entry dollars it can get. Too bad, because the 86-89 911's were great cars and are raced in both PCA and the NASA GTS series.

Something to keep in mind though, with the economic downturn the ITE field at DC Region races is looking very small and some wins could be had without breaking the bank.
    If you have any questions feel free to ask here or PM me.
    cheers
    dave parker
    "Ignore All Confrontations With Common Sense."

Spu!

I don't think that is true in IT. Vaughan Scott's 924 is quite competitive in ITB. 944S is very competitive in ITS, if not potentially dominant, and the 944S2 (along with the 968) is one of the cars to have in ITR.

The problem with the late model 911s and IT is stock horsepower. Pretty much anything with more than 240 stock hp is just not going to fit in ITR, which is the "fastest" of the IT classes. That means most 911s are a no go. The ones that fit in ITS and ITR have been classed there.

Quote Originally Posted by dave parker View Post
    Pete
    Sadly, the SCCA has been scared of the Porsche cars since the late fifties when "the Giant Killer" known as Bruce Jennings to the rest of the world, cleaned everyones clock with a 356 Carrera. Ever since then the club has tended to classify the Porsche cars at a disadvantage.
    You would think that this would change somewhat in the modern era with the club looking for all the entry dollars it can get. Too bad, because the 86-89 911's were great cars and are raced in both PCA and the NASA GTS series.

Something to keep in mind though, with the economic downturn the ITE field at DC Region races is looking very small and some wins could be had without breaking the bank.
    If you have any questions feel free to ask here or PM me.
    cheers
    dave parker
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by callard View Post
    Spu!
    Not sure what that means, but if it roughly translates into "HOGWASH!" in response to Dave's post, I'll give that a +1.

"[S]cared of the Porsche cars since the late fifties.."??? Methinks you've been reading too many Al Cosentino columns (R.I.P.Al)!!!!

Nope, as Jeff accurately describes, Porsche is simply nothing more than a victim of its own success. When they decide to not be as good as they are/were (revival of the four-cylinder 912, anyone?) then they'll be quickly classified into Improved Touring.

Until then: Spu!

SPU is actually something like Street Prepared Under some cc number. It's a catch all class and very few entries normally.
    Chris

Unsquishable bug on the way!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by callard View Post
    Spu!
    SPU's for 3.0 liters and under,

over 3.0 liters SPO!
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Thanks for all the input. I've already got the 911 so I was hoping to keep using it. I've had it out at Summit Point with PCA and wanted to try IT. I've been an SCCA member for two years and have done nada. So I'd like to try out ITA or ITB, ITC, etc. I'm looking to race with the minimum of mods and/or fuss. Looks like I'll have to find a different car.....
    88 Targa
    01 C320
    02 Carrera 2
    RennKleen.com

Guys, I think Greg knows what SPU is................ He was just joking on that one......

Pete, there are a lot of great IT cars out there for short money and will be a LOT less expensive to run than your Porsche. I actually started out my racing with the PCA in a 944. Then went to SCCA with it and got my ass handed to me!!! LOL I have to admit that I got hung up on racing a Porsche and it took me a few years to realize that I can have just as much (or even more) fun for less money and be very competitive. I now race a Saturn (don't laugh!!) and run seconds FASTER at Lime Rock than I did in the Porsche. Good luck!!!
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

My apologies, i was thinking STU and typed SPU.
    Many of the local PCA folks in the DC area raced their cars in IT-E at Summit Point. Some with fair success. I don't think the Targa body qualifies anywhere in IT though. I raced a 911 Targa in the '80s but it was in D-Prod and then in GT-3. Dave Coleman and I dominated those classes and I thought that an IT-S 911 might stand a chance. I've learned an expensive lesson.
    My IT-S Benz can produce the target process horsepower whereas the 911 was already stretched by the factory and doesn't come close.
    Chuck

Isn't the 1988 911 a 3.2L flat six at 217 hp? If so that would fit right in ITR.

If that is correct ask to have the car classed in ITR.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    Isn't the 1988 911 a 3.2L flat six at 217 hp? If so that would fit right in ITR.

If that is correct ask to have the car classed in ITR.

Yes.

Who would I ask?
    88 Targa
    01 C320
    02 Carrera 2
    RennKleen.com

go to crbscca.com, and submit a request. I'm betting that car will need to make 222 at the wheels to be in the hunt.

Take 271 and multiply by the ITR factor (I'm drawing a blank, anyone?) and you'll get the weight. I don't think it's brakes warrant an adder in ITR.

I THINK the ITR factor is 10.9, and that yields 2950.

Gotta double check those numbers though.

Now, if you think that 271 at the crank, which converts to 222 at the wheels is not realistic of what that engine can make in IT trim, then supply documentation, or at least clues to follow up on in your request. Dyno sheets, known builders experiences, etc. Otherwise, it'll go in at 25%.

(I don't know my late 80s Carreras that well, but off the top of my head, I think that 271 crank number is a streeeetch. Do some homework if you agree.)

Also, if the car is already a race car, great, but check issues like seam welding and cage attachment points to ensure SCCA legality. If not yet built, run a spreadsheet first, Porsches are expensive builds , esp 911s.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

217 x 1.25 x 11.25 = 3052

Quote Originally Posted by GKR_17 View Post
    217 x 1.25 x 11.25 = 3052
    not really sure what that means.

probably prefer not to race a targa in the long run anyway.
    88 Targa
    01 C320
    02 Carrera 2
    RennKleen.com

Quote Originally Posted by pweishaupt View Post
    not really sure what that means.
    3052 (probably round down to 3050) is the weight per the process all but one ITR car went through.

Quote Originally Posted by GKR_17 View Post
    per the process all but one ITR car went through.
    You couldn't be MORE wrong.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

a 3.2 Carrara would be a good car for the ITR class - the Targa is less desirable than the hardtop but it'll still be a fine car. Keep us posted if you submit for classification in ITR.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion