Thread: Servicing 240sx rear brakes?

Default Servicing 240sx rear brakes?

Do any of you have a trick for getting the rear caliper pistons to screw back into the e-brake adjusting mechanisim when installing new pads? I've worked on several (mine and others) and have only been successful around 50%. Otherwise it involves dis-assembling the caliper, screwing the adjuster in and re-assembling. S13 & S14 work the same.

Thanks!
    Don Johnson
    Buccaneer Regin SCCA
    Savannah/Coastal Empire Solo Club

I would just take a pair of needle nose pliers and rotate them back in. Some were stickier than others but I was usually able to get them to retract.
    Tristan Smith
    1991 Nissan ITR 300zx #56

There is a special tool to do those... I am planning to but one this year, making do with needle nose for now :/

Either way its obnoxious, but no disassembly required
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Needle-nose pliers work fine for me. I would think the needle-nose vise grips might work even better, but I've never found it to be a big enough PITA to go buy a pair. I would also imagine it would be easy enough to make up a tool - just weld a couple of 1/4" pins into a steel handle - kind of like the wrench you use to loosen the nut on an angle grinder.
    Earl R.
    240SX
    ITA/ST5

Yep, I've got a set of those really long needle nose pliers and they both turn fine. Of course the one with the split boot screwed in just fine....., The one with good boot just goes round-and-round! I've tried all my tricks like working it back and forth, releasing the e-brake cable, etc. Oh well, Autozone has caliper kits for $12 ea wheel so I guess they'll both get an overhaul to go with the new pads.

Just to follow up, I tried un-screwing the piston from the adjuster until it was just hanging by the dust boot. I started it back in and it screwed all the way down, bled the brakes and all is good now!
    Thanks!

I actually modified the removal tool for my angle grinder as someone else mentioned. Did that about 10 years ago for my Maxima and have been using it ever since.

The hard part is the push down & turn with a tool like that. usually I'd find a sturdy place to stick the caliper and then use both hands to push & turn on the tool. worked fine that way.