Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Feb Fastrack

Default Feb Fastrack

Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Probably the best fastrack I have read that actually explains most of the decisions made. Big thumbs up to CRB and BOD at better communication.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

ITA
    1. #381 (Evan Darling) Review ITA E30 BMWs
    In 9.1.3, ITA, BMW E30 318is (88-91), change from 2600 lbs. to
    2430 lbs.

ITB
    1. #378 (Todd Engelman) Reduce weight of the 320i
    In 9.1.3, ITB, BMW 320i 2.0 (77-79), change from 2510 lbs. to
    2340 lbs.

How was this allowed? I thought it was against the rules to change the weigthts?

Raymond
    RST Performance Racing
    www.rstperformance.com

Sounds like the "formula" was re-run on them under the Errors and Omissions allowance? The really odd thing is that I thought the BOD put the kibosh on this recently...

Christian
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

I'm kind of confused. At the beginning they are talking about wanting feedback and item #471 is GCR and Vintage CR changes. They want to mandate any car with a log book registered after 1/1/11 have a fuel cell? Is that just a Vintage thing or a full GCR thing. It may be too early in the morning and not enough caffeine yet, but is that how others read it as a full GCR thing?
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

"ITB – (Multiple) Review ITB weight of MR2
    The car is classed appropriately."

"IT – #236 (Grafton Robertson) December weight reduction violates ITCS
    Thank you for your input. The weight was not a competition adjustment; it was a correction because an error in the initial
    classification was found."

The MR2's weight was was an error that was agreed upon. Do they actually think that the motor can make 30%? I mean in 25 years years they think that not a single person made an attempt? I know of two guys that have over 10k each in there motors and netneir is making 25%. So on top of that we get another 50lb adder for balance? you don't think that balance is affected when you classify the car nearly 20% more than the factory weight?

I wish I got more than the traditional response.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

That's a real shame Steve, and I feel for you and anyone else in the same situation. What worked for me was a direct request for what issue I wanted to considered, why I thought it should be considered, and supporting evidence. Then once I submitted it, if it was denied I was preparing myself for the "not advisable at this time" response. The web-based tracking worked well and kept me informed of who was considering my request. Maybe you can submit it again in a few months.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

not against the rules if the weights were off...The 318is (88-91) needed this to be anywhere near competitive. I still do not know if the car will be competitive as even with an IT build it will be slightly down on power compared to its competition (taking aero and other factors into consideration i.e suspension design etc). But at least it is closer and maybe more will be built now as it is a viable option. The E21 (2.0) at its weight should be good as well and they just need to follow suit with the E21 1.8 now. Considering the VW GTI 1.8 (both C.I.S) weights and power gains compared to the BMW version they are getting closer.
    Evan Darling
    ITR BMW 325is build started...
    SM (underfunded development program)
    SEDIV ITA Champion 2005
    sometimes racing or crewing Koni Sports Car Challenge

You guys PM me and I'll tell you what I know. The CRB has asked that we not hash some of this out in public, but will tell you what I know privately.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by Xian View Post
    Sounds like the "formula" was re-run on them under the Errors and Omissions allowance? The really odd thing is that I thought the BOD put the kibosh on this recently...

Christian
    Prior to my leaving the ITAC, we were explicitly told that adjustments precisely like were applied in these two cases were in violation of the GCR. The term that was floating around conversations among committee members was that we "got our hand caught in the cookie jar."

The CRB has asked that we not hash some of this out in public, but will tell you what I know privately. ...
    And you are now officially part of the problem rather than the solution, Jeff. Welcome to the Secret Car Club of America. If there's information you can share one-on-one with anyone who will ask - IT'S PUBLIC. If it's PUBLIC, it should be hashed out, uh, IN PUBLIC.

What utter crap.

K

I won't delete the below, but screw it, it's wrong. Kirk is right, at least on the fact that this stuff should be discussed in public.

Here's where things stand. Note that I do not think the CRB is out to screw IT, etc. I just think we have a disagreement on some basic principles with the CRB in general, and on this car in particular. They are:

1. GENERAL: When can we apply errors and omissions to correct car weights? The CRB's position on this now seems to be that they will allow fixes to "gross" mistakes (my word, not theirs). There is no real definition of what triggers this.

2. GENERAL: The CRB does not like the use of stock hp in the process.

3. GENERAL: The CRB does not like the 25% default IT gain multiplier we use.

4. SPECIFIC: The CRB thinks that 16V motors have the potential for more than 25% gain, and also that there is no reason to change the weight on this car as it was just classed in ITB last year (? year before?).

The ITAC's position is simple. The car may make 25% at best, and the classification at the higher weight was an error.

Or, the "problem" is that good folks give up the fight at the first sign of trouble.

But I digress.

I agree that most of this stuff should be discussed in public. There are some things about the MR2 that are in the grey area for me as to whether internal committee discussions -- it was heated -- should be made public.

The board we report to has asked that we not disclose this stuff on the internet boards right now. I am willing to abide by that for now, and at the same time tell people who ask what I know. I see that as the lesser of two evils, the other evil being that we have an ITAC with NO members on it that believe in the process, etc. I agree that's not logically consistent, but it is the best I can do right now.

I do think it is an entirely fair question to ask of the CRB, and discuss in public, why errors and omissions adjustments were made to some cars, even after we were told no.
    Last edited by JeffYoung; 01-22-2010 at 02:05 PM. Reason: I was wrong
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    Or, the "problem" is that good folks give up the fight at the first sign of trouble. ...
    The first sign of trouble for me happened in about 1981, Jeff. I made the mistake of believing we'd learned from the past almost 30 years. Call this past summer "Kirk's LAST sign of trouble."

K

Kirk, you are right about one thing -- the technical aspects of this should be discussed in public. I changed my post above, based solely on yours. I realzed you were right.

But, and I wish we were talking face to face over this, I really wish you had stayed on the ITAC. I know you have a lot of years of frustration with the SCCA, and that builds over time. I've been there. Committee work does that.

But I am now convinced that there was a lot of miscommunication and just misunderstanding that led to the dust up between the ITAC and the CRB last year. I think the situation is very fixable, and I think you could have been a big part of the fix.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Dammit Evan....now I'm going to have to build a motor and loose the weight just to see which is faster:026::026::026: Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    I won't delete the below, but screw it, it's wrong. Kirk is right, at least on the fact that this stuff should be discussed in public.
    Glad that you caught the error of your ways with Kirk's assistance. This is a club, by members for members. Members, including committee members, should be able to discuss what they wish as it pertains to the racing classes that they, and we, John Q Public, participate in.
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 01-22-2010 at 02:47 PM.

The ITCS is very clear that the weights of the cars are not to be changed except under very strict circumstances. Jake's post (now deleted) seemed to say that the 'error' corrections wouldn't apply except for 'recently' classed cars. So the ITAC chose not to run every car through the process the first time (which wasn't legal either), and now they're fixing errors? I've seen a lot of weights changed, and none of it complies with the rules in my opinion.

At least before the 'process' no one was pretending that this system wasn't political. Back to business as usual.

Committee work does that.
    I don't belong to an SCCA committee and feel plenty annoyed and frustrated with the antics. So will the CRB at least have the balls to print "we won't allow these weights to be adjusted under this one rule although we've done it in the past"?

I know...
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Ow. My head hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by GKR_17 View Post
    The ITCS is very clear that the weights of the cars are not to be changed except under very strict circumstances.
    The ITCS reads:
    "Entrants shall not be guaranteed the competitiveness of any car,
    and competition adjustments, other than as outlined in section 9.1.3.C,
    are not allowed."

"On rare occasion—and only after careful review of the actual racing
    performance of a particular make/model/year of vehicle—the Club may
    reclassify a vehicle, revise a vehicle’s minimum allowable weight, and/or
    in the most extreme situation an intake restrictor may be required. Such
    an action shall be taken solely for the purpose of restoring equity within
    the vehicle’s class.
    "
    Does the GCR mean rare (unique) such as the Tuskunga Event, or rare in the case of six toed cats? It simply says on rare occasions, and after reviewing a few things, then the weight may be revised and/or a vehicle reclassified. Rare is sort of subjective to the eye of the beholder isn't it?

Now that bold italic part might be a problem since that spells out only for equity purposes. Doh.
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 01-22-2010 at 03:22 PM.

This is a problem. The weight change wording in the ITCS is clear, but doesn't match up with what is being done in real life.

The CRB has pointed us to a procedures manual that allows errors and omissions weight corrections, but that is not in the ITCS and it should be.

While I think fixing weights on cars via the process is "right," I agre with Grafton it is technically "wrong" per the ITCS. Something needs to be fixed, or at least openly published.

Quote Originally Posted by GKR_17 View Post
    The ITCS is very clear that the weights of the cars are not to be changed except under very strict circumstances. Jake's post (now deleted) seemed to say that the 'error' corrections wouldn't apply except for 'recently' classed cars. So the ITAC chose not to run every car through the process the first time (which wasn't legal either), and now they're fixing errors? I've seen a lot of weights changed, and none of it complies with the rules in my opinion.

At least before the 'process' no one was pretending that this system wasn't political. Back to business as usual.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8