Thread: new racer with 79 RX7

Red face new racer with 79 RX7

evening all. I posted this on rx7club couple of days ago and dude there told me to post here.

Wondering if there's anything the knowledgeable gurus here would recommend checking over? I've been around lots of cars but am new to the RX7 and rotary world.

I just bought a 79 RX7. It's red white and blue. Currently number 66. Looks like it was built by Adams Motorsports in AL. I bought it from a fella in FL. Looks to be in good shape overall. No problems that I could see but I'm really not that familiar with the RX7.

I'm considering another as well. It's also a 79 in GA. Red and green with the number 10. Anyone know anything about it?

Thanks

I would think if it has a strong motor and trans. then go have fun with it. Pretty bulletproof car just keep in mind the 79/80 have a different trans. but will accept the latter years with modification to the tunnel. Not sure if Paul Yaw is doing carbs for these or not anymore but if you could pick one of those up def. worth the money. I miss our old seven was a really fun car to drive.
    W J Weaver

That might have been me that referred you over here.

Both sites have some good rx7 knowledgable people but they aren't on all the time.

blueray,
    Other than the normal fluids and what not, here are the 'problem areas' that have given me some grief. The car is pretty bullet proof.

Try to keep your shifting at 8k for longevity of the engine.
    Buy new front inner and outer bearings at least every year (I do 4- 6 weekends)
    Buy at least one set of bearings and a rotor, I assemble and grease them with cardboard over the ends and take them with tools to the track.
    If you have a panhard bar attached to the rear axle with a bracket made of muffler clamps, check them for looseness and cracks. Make a spare bracket to take to the track.
    Check the bottom two bolts on the front struts
    Check the large nut that holds the front strut insert in.
    If you have re-run fuel/brake lines make sure they are not wearing thru near the rear axle.
    If you have spherical bearings on anything, they do get loose, might want to have some spares.
    During the year keep an eye on the front rotors. If you are running Hawks they will be eaten, if you are running Carbotechs eventually they will get hairline cracks.
    If you just can't keep out of the garage, wax the underside of the hood it makes the car fast and looks cool!
    If you have an MSD hooked up or any other aftermarket ignition, make sure both leading and trailing plugs are firing. Attach a timing light to make sure they are both working. These motors will run and run pretty good with only one set.

Welcome and good luck.
    Hillbilly Motorsports
    Just 'Cuz were willing to try it,
    doesn't mean we know what we're doing!