Thread: 1st gen RX-7 brake pad selection

Default 1st gen RX-7 brake pad selection

Time has come to start preparation for the season. I would like to hear opinions on Carbotech pads and how they work in a first gen RX-7. I have "heard" they are pretty rotor friendly and very consistent in pedal feel. Any opinions or thoughts one way or the other? We have been running Hawk Blues in our POS-7.

I have been using Carbotech's for 2 years now and have been very pleased with them. I used to run Hawk Blue. Even though I dont run an RX-7, I have had great luck with them on my Honda. The pedal feel is always consistant and the pads are very easy on rotors. The pedal is always predictable with great modulation capability. I would recommend the XP8. The XP12 might be overkill. All the pad compounds are listed on the Carbotech website.
    www.ctbrakes.com

Good luck.
    Greg Vandersluis
    #4 1990 Honda Civic Si
    #97 2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
    #93 2006 Ford Mustang
    Carbotech/BFGoodrich/Vandersluis Motorsports
    2010 Great Lakes Division ITA Champion
    2012 Great Lakes Division T1 Champion

I'm running Carbotech pads on the front and rear of my 85 PRO-7.
    I have never used the Hawk pads but some of my competitors do and have seemed pleased. I believe they go through more rotors per season than the drivers that use the Carbotech's. I usually go through 2 sets of rotors for a full 10-12 race season. Last season I used XP-10's up front and XP-8's in the rear with a brake bias system. I did flat spot some of my tires but that probably was a little late braking. This year I'm going to use XP-8's up front and AX-6's in the rear. This will provide a little less intial bite and the pads will last a little longer.
    Just make sure to alter your stopping points until you get used to different pads whether manufacturer or compound.
    Duane

Thanks for the input guys! I'll give the XP-10s a try up front but, alas, I am stuck with a drum brake rear for the time being. I will use the 913 compound on those. (Just haven't found a disk braked rear for a reasonable price!!!!!)

Blues ate my rotors. Carbos crack them. I probably replace more rotors with the carbotechs. I have an airdam, with ducts and the $$ Mazda hats. Performance is to my liking.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Thanks Jake! I am going to give the Carbotechs a try. Surely can't be worse than those Blues eating up the rotors like they do. We're running the Mazda ducts as well.

For what it's worth...

I run the carbotechs and used to run the Hawks.

Hawks ate my rotors, I can go two seasons (10-12 weekends) on a set of Carbotech pads and rotors. Although my home track is Nelson and I only touch the brakes three times in 2 miles so your mileage may differ.

I did notice on the switch from Hawk to Carbotech it required more pressure to stop but they never have faded on me.
    Hillbilly Motorsports
    Just 'Cuz were willing to try it,
    doesn't mean we know what we're doing!