Thread: locking CV bolts - any interest?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I use a high quality 12pt tool and always tap it with a hammer to make sure it is seated before loosening or tightening it, no more stripping.

I just safety wire them, but for someone who hasn't drilled their bolts this is a pretty smart idea.

Vice Grips? 200ish...... (in 18 years being in the Biz).....I am liking the safety wire idea.... a cheep V block and a drill press should make it quick....I replace my bolts every other time.Still 8mm trip square...
    I have broken more snap-on bits, than rounding out the bolts...The MAC bits seam to hold up better..??.. Axle nuts are one use only...

Totally off the subject, but one thing I started dooing on MK1s ball joints, is drill the 3 holes in the C-arm&BJ to 5/16s, and use 12.9 8mm alan bolts....grade 8.8 7mm bolts scare me.....If the BJ doesn't come with hardware...good luck finding 7x1.0 nuts& bolts
    Also Lots and lots of Metric wing-nuts to hold the starter, tranny, REAR Trans mount...Quick easy removal of bad parts...Hard to get a torque wrench on
    "Nebraska organizing committees
    to race in Iowa & Ne board thing "
    Still working on a name...
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

Wing nuts on a race car? That sounds like a oxi-moron

I've only had to do the vice grips thing a couple of times, sometimes on my street car, and only once on the race car. If you drill out the CV bolts, you can re-use them over and over again. Also make sure to clean out the threads and remove all of the CV grease, but if you safety wire them, they will NEVER losen up, unless you safety wire them wrong.

I spent 5 years in the Air Force, and safety wiring critical bolts from loosening, is one the the best practices that I learned. BTW, I was in the USAF from 1981 to 1986.

BTW, my current HP Wabbit was my street car, and I purchased it brand new in Oct 1981 and put almost 300k miles on it as a street car, before I turned it into a race car, and started storing it in a garage.
    Tim Linerud
    San Francisco Region SCCA
    #95 GTL Wabbit
    Convert from GP to GTL
    http://www.timlinerud.com/racing/index.html

racer_tim @ yahoo dot com