Thread: Metric Fastener sources

Default Metric Fastener sources

Anyone have a good source of metric fasteners w/ the same 10-12-14 hex size as found in Nissans? Most places use 13-15-17 and its a real pain to have different sizes intermixed.

I've also found that many places that sell the fasteners don't list the hex size, only the diameter and pitch.

Thanks
    Matt

Oddly, that's "a Jap Thing"; same thing goes for my Mazdas and Hondas I've disassembled. DO note, Matt, that thread pitch is different on later model Japanese cars (Nissan, Mazda, Honda) once you get above about 8-10mm thread size; the Japanese like finer threads.

The only way I've resolved this is to have two boxes of used hardware: one for German and American stuff, and one for Japanese. And anything new I need (usually the bigger stuff, I've got tons of small stuff around) I usually buy OEM...

Quote Originally Posted by MMiskoe View Post
    Anyone have a good source of metric fasteners w/ the same 10-12-14 hex size as found in Nissans? Most places use 13-15-17 and its a real pain to have different sizes intermixed.

I've also found that many places that sell the fasteners don't list the hex size, only the diameter and pitch.

Thanks
    Matt
    It's ISO spec vs. DIN spec. DIN is Deustch-something and uses the 11-13-15 etc heads. Japanese mostly use ISO spec 10-12-14 heads. If you purchase online check to verify which spec and you'll get the right hex sizes. Now if someone could give me a good explanation for why Ford decided to use 18mm hex heads on most of their suspension parts (?) Have you ever seen a metric tool kit that came with it? I had to buy individual wrenches and sockets. Never seen an 18 on anything else, german, japanese, italian, etc. I've yet to find an 18 anywhere on my Nissan.....,

Quote Originally Posted by djsilver View Post
    It's ISO spec vs. DIN spec. DIN is Deustch-something and uses the 11-13-15 etc heads. Japanese mostly use ISO spec 10-12-14 heads. If you purchase online check to verify which spec and you'll get the right hex sizes. Now if someone could give me a good explanation for why Ford decided to use 18mm hex heads on most of their suspension parts (?) Have you ever seen a metric tool kit that came with it? I had to buy individual wrenches and sockets. Never seen an 18 on anything else, german, japanese, italian, etc. I've yet to find an 18 anywhere on my Nissan.....,
    Bmw's tend to use a lot of 16mm on the suspension parts. As for a source, Mcmaster-carr and fastenal are two sources I've used and order from.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

My GMC van, which has a mix of metric and SAE, uses 18 mm on the idler pulley bolt.
    Joe Camilleri
    HP Scirocco
    Check out the VW Club Racers Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=309326556818

http://www.wurthcanada.com/

Dunno if these guys distribute south of the border, but they have every option I've ever wanted.

Jim Barnsley, Streetwise Service
    WCMA IT2 Neon Twincam
    2009/2010 Regional and Alberta IT2 Champion
    2009 Regional Overall Champion. Second this year, dammit.

Dare I say it, but I just take a 5 gallon bucket to the pick-a-part and dig around in/under all the Nissans on the lot. fill up your bucket and hand the counter guy a $10 and keep walking.

at least it works well here in Texas where it's nice and dry and the bolts aren't rusted to crap.

When buying new bolts, I use Metricmcc.com, but they use DIN standard bolts, which have the 11/13/15/19 head sizes.

djsilver, as for the 18mm bolt size, I hear ya.. I hate working on Fords for that reason, but I've found it ironic that my Gearwrench sets all come with an 18mm wrench and not a 17mm. only the newest sets have been including a 17 as well, but they're charging more for the sets now.
    Last edited by Matt93SE; 02-12-2010 at 11:44 AM.