Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2010 NEDiv Roundtable

Dear Drivers,
    It is a shame to hear so many people are unhappy with the NARRC, etc......I was at the Roundtable and it was excellent. TOO BAD the drivers did not show up to voice their opinions because we if we really need to fix something we need to voice our opinions. Too late now but I personally feel we need to build back up NARRC to make it mean something like years ago. I am happy that about 50-60% of the drivers did show up to pick up their awards and they were given out by Jeff Dahnert our President.

I have my hands full with ProIT and trying to close this NY Life deal but it would be nice to incorporate a deal for NARRC as well. Maybe we can sit down at an upcoming regional and get this thing figured out. Jerry Rigoli works very hard and Dick Patullo is incredible as well and if we work together we can get thing solved for a sold platform to work for going into the future.

Sincerely,
    Bob Zecca
    Proud sponsor of the TEAMDI PROIT SERIES and F2000 CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Zecca View Post
    Dear Drivers,
    It is a shame to hear so many people are unhappy with the NARRC, etc......I was at the Roundtable and it was excellent. TOO BAD the drivers did not show up to voice their opinions because we if we really need to fix something we need to voice our opinions. Too late now but I personally feel we need to build back up NARRC to make it mean something like years ago. I am happy that about 50-60% of the drivers did show up to pick up their awards and they were given out by Jeff Dahnert our President.

I have my hands full with ProIT and trying to close this NY Life deal but it would be nice to incorporate a deal for NARRC as well. Maybe we can sit down at an upcoming regional and get this thing figured out. Jerry Rigoli works very hard and Dick Patullo is incredible as well and if we work together we can get thing solved for a sold platform to work for going into the future.

Sincerely,
    Bob Zecca
    Bob,

The feedback was given to the voting members of the NARRC prior to this last roundtable. That feedback was the driver for the two additional tentative weekends we saw on the NARRC website all winter that are now gone. We voiced it, they didn't listen. I have the emails and the dates if you would like copies. Summary sent 11-17-09 after large file didn't go through. Followed up same day with condensed file.

The NARRC is/was the premier series in the Northeast. You HAVE TO ALLOW FOR LIFE to get in the way. Right now it's an attendance award. If you want to have just 8 races, make it the best 6. We are simply not Pro racers, we have to be allowed to have a race or two that we can't make.

And aside from Jerry R, not one member of teh NARRC committee has answered my direct question via e-mail why they voted this way. It's a far cry from a year or two ago when D. Anthony was busting his hump to make it a drivers series.

If the committee isn;t going to listen to the racers...then disband the NARRC and run your local series. NERRC and NYSRRC will survive, but there will be no inter-Regional Championship. Pfft.

And yes, I have volunteered to take over the NARRC and run it differently.
    Last edited by Andy Bettencourt; 03-17-2010 at 03:40 PM.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Billiel View Post
    Please don't confuse my comments as national vs regional banter. It's 100% about the regions at play and the NARRC series that started this latest version of the thread.
    I was placing my own shameless plug on the regional vs national banter. STU kills me.
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

So lets try and swing this to a constructive note. The amount of races has been reduced. Check. About once a month is a great target that has almost been achieved. Check. A variety of tracks. Check.

If we amended the rules to 'best 6 of 8' with the same 3 weekend minimum, you could accomplish what the drivers have been asking for - for a few years now...but we are still hung up on one of teh two biggest issues we have had. There is still time to amend the rules.
    Andy Bettencourt

Dear Drivers,

Sincerely,
    Bob Zecca
    BOB - You are making my point. The reason that drivers don't show up is because wait for it.... They don't care about the politics! They look at the final schedule and choose which weekend to attend based on various factors.

You have done a good job with the Pro IT. You never intended for it to replace regionals, but guess what? Pro IT is what people wanted... Again for various reasons. Drivers voted with their wallet. No matter how much you pleaded regional attendance did not go up. Staying for the regional did not make sense for a majority of the racers as they could come and go in one day with the Pro IT.

Again I am a volunteer with NER as many others are in various regions. Until people take a step back and LISTEN to the customers one day a region is going to be in for a rude awakening I fear.
    Jeremy Billiel

I attended 15 events in the NE last season, I spent time talking to many of the drivers.
    Either at a drivers meeting, wandering the pits or small groups in the timing tower/garage at NJMP and I LISTENED.
    The current NARRC schedule, for the most part, was my proposal. I recommended drops but I'm only one vote and the discussion was always against them, as it was again this past weekend.
    If everyone feels their should be dropped events contact one of the members of the board in your region.
    Now, for something I have more control over, NERRC, take a look at our schedule, nicely spread out over the season, 13 races with 3 drops and prices that can't be beat! We are hosting 3 triple race events (what the drivers wanted) and special discounts to double dippers (what the drivers wanted).
    NHMS has opened the Coach area, sites with electric & water hook ups, a new play area for the kids and a 30 table picnic area. New restroom with 20+ showers and more coming soon!
    Do I care about what you have to say? We have scheduled 4 Club racing board meetings at upcoming race events as well.

Jerry Rigoli NER Club Racing Chairman
    Jerry
    NER South

Dear Drivers, TOO BAD the drivers did not show up to voice their opinions because we if we really need to fix something we need to voice our opinions.

Maybe we can sit down at an upcoming regional and get this thing figured out. Jerry Rigoli works very hard and Dick Patullo is incredible as well and if we work together we can get thing solved for a sold platform to work for going into the future.

Sincerely,
    Bob Zecca
    With all the modern forms of comunication i would think we could solicite feedback in a more efficient manor. And to be honest I thought Andy did this! I did not go to the round-table but I did submit my thoughts on improving the NARRC series the exact way the NARRC committee requested.

It is TOO BAD those at the round-table didn't follow the communication process that was requested on the NARRC website.

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    With all the modern forms of comunication i would think we could solicite feedback in a more efficient manor. And to be honest I thought Andy did this! I did not go to the round-table but I did submit my thoughts on improving the NARRC series the exact way the NARRC committee requested.

It is TOO BAD those at the round-table didn't follow the communication process that was requested on the NARRC website.

Stephen
    Stephen,

The NARRC Committee had the feedback collected. They just chose to not support it. I believe there is time to voice opinions again. Review the series rules at www.narrc.com and send feedback to .....committee AT narrc.com....

I will again as an individual. I will be suggestion that we need to change to a best 6 of 8.
    Andy Bettencourt

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Stephen,

The NARRC Committee had the feedback collected. They just chose to not support it. I believe there is time to voice opinions again. Review the series rules at www.narrc.com and send feedback to .....committee AT narrc.com....

I will again as an individual. I will be suggestion that we need to change to a best 6 of 8.
    BUT ANDY!!!! If you make it best 6 of 8 then the regions who host races that are 7 and 8 on your list will not get your support as a racer. That is unacceptable so I MUST require all 8 so my event can make money.

This is what we are dealing with.

Jerry - No offense intended to you at all. I think one can argue that NER continues to have great attendence because of many reasons one being the bang for your buck factor.
    Jeremy Billiel

Thanks Andy, I think the round table is great for those in positions to collaborate and utilization of the internet the way you have is a great way for members to give feedback. I thought way outside of the box last time I submitted feedback and although I like me ideas I completely understand they are "unrealistic" non the less it was my feedback. I love the once per month, at different tracks. And I support the drops recommended and I don't think their should be any minimum.

Stephen

Anyone that sees this that is interested in the NARRC series please support it and give your feedback to the E-mail Andy mentioned.

First of all I am only a fly on the wall in this process. My current position does not allow me to unduly influence Narrc decisions, however I think maybe some are being critical of those that are trying to put together a great series.

The Narrc series has never been a tighter schedule. A small number of events and a pretty well spaced out schedule. Good work given the scheduling limitations imposed on our club.

I think it unfair to claim that the format is what it is in order to force drivers to attend a region’s races. Most of the participating regions races are not on the Narrc schedule.

There has always been a fear that Narrc championships would be won by drivers that were good at one or two tracks. Narrc is a touring series centered around Lime Rock. The committee feels that one should not become a champion by being good at LRP and maybe one other track. With such a short tight schedule if there were drops this could happen.

With this years schedule a driver can be competitive with a much smaller commitment of resources that is years past.

If the schedule of this touring series does not meet a particular competitors needs then there are certainly alternatives. See Jerry’s note about the Nerrc series. There is also Jrrc, Nysrrc, Marrs and Pro-IT and for those that are not motivated by a series, which is most, there are tons of races and formats available throughout the northeast.

Compared with the rest of the nation we in the northeast have an embarrassment of riches with regard to opportunities for regional racing. No one else in the country has it as good.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Dick,

Was this a result of the feedback they received from the drivers or did this come from the NARRC Committee?
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by dickita15 View Post
    First of all I am only a fly on the wall in this process. My current position does not allow me to unduly influence Narrc decisions, however I think maybe some are being critical of those that are trying to put together a great series.

The Narrc series has never been a tighter schedule. A small number of events and a pretty well spaced out schedule. Good work given the scheduling limitations imposed on our club.

I think it unfair to claim that the format is what it is in order to force drivers to attend a region’s races. Most of the participating regions races are not on the Narrc schedule.

There has always been a fear that Narrc championships would be won by drivers that were good at one or two tracks. Narrc is a touring series centered around Lime Rock. The committee feels that one should not become a champion by being good at LRP and maybe one other track. With such a short tight schedule if there were drops this could happen.

With this years schedule a driver can be competitive with a much smaller commitment of resources that is years past.

If the schedule of this touring series does not meet a particular competitors needs then there are certainly alternatives. See Jerry’s note about the Nerrc series. There is also Jrrc, Nysrrc, Marrs and Pro-IT and for those that are not motivated by a series, which is most, there are tons of races and formats available throughout the northeast.

Compared with the rest of the nation we in the northeast have an embarrassment of riches with regard to opportunities for regional racing. No one else in the country has it as good.
    Dick - No doubt that we are making progress and this is much better than it was prior. Drop the rule to 6 of 8 and I think we are just about there...
    Jeremy Billiel

Dick,

I agree that the schedule looks pretty decent. Spacing is ok, number of events is good. In MY tenure as a NARRC competitor, the worry about a one-track-wonder always centered around NHIS and a pile of events there. Now it's spread all over the Division. Recent years have added WGI and spread events out. Some folks didn't like bonus points and this year we try it without those. All excellent moves.

Just because there are fewer OVERALL events, doesn't mean that you have lessened the committment needed to win. This year you have to attend 8 of 8. In previous years, it was the best 8 of 14. Still 8 if you are in a points race.

A simple modification to the structure to allow for us to be actual human beings is what we are asking for. Best 6 of 8. It solves all the issues and it addresses a key desire that the racers have had for years.
    Andy Bettencourt

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    Dick,

Was this a result of the feedback they received from the drivers or did this come from the NARRC Committee?
    I honestly do not know how each person came to their individual decisions.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    Dick,

I agree that the schedule looks pretty decent. Spacing is ok, number of events is good. In MY tenure as a NARRC competitor, the worry about a one-track-wonder always centered around NHIS and a pile of events there. Now it's spread all over the Division. Recent years have added WGI and spread events out. Some folks didn't like bonus points and this year we try it without those. All excellent moves.

Just because there are fewer OVERALL events, doesn't mean that you have lessened the committment needed to win. This year you have to attend 8 of 8. In previous years, it was the best 8 of 14. Still 8 if you are in a points race.

A simple modification to the structure to allow for us to be actual human beings is what we are asking for. Best 6 of 8. It solves all the issues and it addresses a key desire that the racers have had for years.
    You are right Andy, if you are in a competitive class you will have to race all five weekend to win.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

You are right Andy, if you are in a competitive class you will have to race all five weekend to win.
    And I do admit a bias. All the IT classes are hotly contested (except ITC). What the PTB have to remember, is that since IT is a Regional only class, the NARRC has been the local measuring stick. No Nationals to go to.
    Andy Bettencourt

I'm not running for the NARRC this year but I thought the schedule was excellent. One drop ought to be included, but sheesh - take it easy folks - they got this darn 100% close to what the drivers have been asking for...
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    It could have been inferred (it was most assuredly implied).

The perfect race series for Club Racing is one race weekend per month, spread evenly on both a calender and geographical basis, optimally hitting all the key tracks at least once...
    GA
    Amen amen amen amen.

Steve

Right now it's an attendance award.

Right now? LOL!

NERRC series, NARRC series, JRRC series, NYSRRC series, Pro-IT series

Oh my! Maybe we could add a couple more?

the NARRC has been the local measuring stick.

For a select few people, sure. Overall the majority of people do not see it as a measuring stick or even know who won the various series. Heck, most people have absolutely no idea who won any of the IT series championships last year. I don’t even know who won ITB.

There are too many different series being run, too many races, and it’s all watered down. I will say that I do like how Pro IT organizes their series schedule.

…and for those that are not motivated by a series, which is most, there are tons of races and formats available throughout the northeast.

Dick, this is a key point and one that it sure seems regions fail to recognize or don’t make the necessary adjustments based upon this fact. I realize that politics comes into play as well. Another challenge in creating a successful series here in the north east is due the fact there are tons of races and tracks. I’m not suggesting that there shouldn’t be a series since some do enjoy it and if done right, it could be a bigger draw.

I have to imagine that there’s quite a bit of time and effort put into running the various series. Maybe some of that time should be reallocated towards making specific events even better than they already are? As said numerous times, eliminate some other races so this can be done if need be. For example, make the NARRC runoffs a big event again instead of “another typical race weekend” which in my opinion it has become.

Other regions should take a serious look at IT Fest, the Labor Day event at Summit Point and the ARRC at Road Atlanta. Talk about fantastic events!! These events have raised the bar to another level and more regions should follow their lead. The racing is great, but the stuff off the track is what really makes these events. If some don’t think this is the way to go, look at the number of people who attend these events, how far they travel to make it, and how early they put it on their calendars as a “must attend event.”
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing