Thread: What did you for towing strap in your MK3?

Default What did you for towing strap in your MK3?

I'm looking for suggestions about the front towing hook/strap setup. Are you using the factory hook or something different?

This is for my MK3 Golf.

Thanks, Edison

I can tell you that the stock tow eye will break if you have a front impact of a smallish variety. Like following someone closely into a heavy braking zone and having the person behind you punt you into the car in front.....
    ...sorry Ken H, it really wasn't my fault ;-(... The stock eye is also slightly smaller than the 2" requirement if your tech person is having a nad day.

Look at the range of 'race eyes' offered by Rennenmetal.com. I put two on and use them to tie down the car on the trailer. Excellent sevice too.

Now I fear no BMW 2002 trunklids!

DZ

The really cheap way to install a legal tow eye is: 1) acquire 2" u-bolt (old muffler clamps are free), 2) cut 3" piece of steel strip, say 1 1/2 " x 3/16, 3) weld u-bolt to strip, 4) drill two holes in strip, 5) bolt to convenient place like underside of bumper in grill opening (front) and license area (rear). Takes little time, very cheap, and works well. I've got maybe $10 in the eyes for all my cars.
    Tom Lyttle
    Decatur, GA
    IT7 Mazda - 2006, 2008 SARRC Champion
    ITS Nissan 200SX - finally running correctly
    FP Ford Capri - waiting for a comp adjustment
    GT3 Dodge Daytona - what was I thinking?

$5 tow hook.

Stick it threw the stock tow hook make a loop and your done. Tie up with a rubber band so you don't get black flagged for having something loose. Actually had the tow truck driver come and tell me thanks for having a large hook, makes it easy to hook up.

http://www.rei.com/product/722354

This what I have been thinking on doing (I will have to cut a hole on the bumper):

I know a few Spec Miata guys who use a climbing strap like can be acquired from REI.
    http://www.rei.com/product/722354
    Meets the 2" requirement and is super light.

Used to use a similar set-up on my 7. Had an axle tie down strap connected to the car with a chain link (the kind that opens with a nut). Used it a couple times, worked pretty good. Figure even if I got stuck the weight rating of both of the components more than compensated for any resistance incurred.
    Chris

Unsquishable bug on the way!!!!!