Thread: Development of mentor program?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Managing the program behind the scenes is where I'm at complete a loss. I agree, using some type of software such as a web based tools would be a huge plus. As it stands now, the only thing I can of doing sending out Word doc prepared questionnaires - one for students and one for mentors. Then taking that information and manually putting it into Excel. I realize that's not at all efficient or the best way to do it.

If anyone would be willing to help with this, there a ton of different areas where your help could be used in addition to mentors.

I've heard that a few people have attempted this in the past but it kinda fizzled away. I don't think this is something one person can effectively do by themselves.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Alberto,

Actually, you could provide some initial help with this project as well. Even if it's as simple as reading the student questionnaire, and asking "how will this work" from a student's perspective. Sometimes as we gain more experience, we also take a lot for granted. If you'd be interested in assisting in this way, PM me your e-mail address along with first & last name.

For those interested in obtaining a mentor, the best way I could think of managing the communication was to implement a newsletter. (This website will be undergoing a significant amount of changes in the near future.) To sign-up for the newsletter, you can go to the below link.

http://www.goaheadtakethewheel.com/Newsletter.html
    Dave Gran

Good Idea. Count me in. MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Quote Originally Posted by gran racing View Post
    Alberto,

Actually, you could provide some initial help with this project as well. Even if it's as simple as reading the student questionnaire, and asking "how will this work" from a student's perspective. Sometimes as we gain more experience, we also take a lot for granted. If you'd be interested in assisting in this way, PM me your e-mail address along with first & last name.

For those interested in obtaining a mentor, the best way I could think of managing the communication was to implement a newsletter. (This website will be undergoing a significant amount of changes in the near future.) To sign-up for the newsletter, you can go to the below link.

http://www.goaheadtakethewheel.com/Newsletter.html

I can help you out building the web site. Pm incoming.

Why dont we address the questions here?? The webmaster could add a heading, the noobs could post questions, place and date, the old coots could make the conection here. find each other at the track ,or shop, It could be love at first sight..
    MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Something like this could be done here too, but my goal is to expand this well beyond IT racing to include autocross, HPDEs, and all categories of Club Racing. Also, as much as I'm a huge SCCA supporter, I'd also like to have this set-up so people interested in participating with other organizations such as NASA will have access to a mentor.

The thought of actually moving forward with a mentor program came about as I was working on the development of my new website where all of the contents from that book I wrote about getting into racing will be made available to people. I will also be adding information about general driving techniques among may other topics. SCCA having a mentor program is something I've often thought as another missing piece, and I suppose that I either need to put up or shut up. Now only if I could get SCCA to contribute financially to this to help get closer to that far away break-even point with this resource effort.
    Dave Gran

NASA is a lot more noob friendly. Just by their race license program alone. We ran NASA for the first time last summer and I was very impressed. Lots of new blood,lots of cash in the cars. SCCA has missed some things, that NASA has picked up. The spec classes seem towork,etc.

Don't forget about other race organizations - BMW, Porsche, Rally, Motorcycle stuff etc.