Quote Originally Posted by dickita15 View Post
Having been thru the task of permitting a track I could not agree more that we would be better off if we ran at a lower sound level. It does not hurt the quality of racing one bit and make survival of our sport much easier. NHMS forces us to run at 100 dB so we went with that limit for our new track.
When you start running numbers on sound it is amazing how far it travels. By the way background measurements of sound levels in rural Palmer were 42dB. Sound barriers are problematic because to be effective they must be very close to the sound source compromising safety.
When I built a new exhaust for my Rx7 about six years ago I tried to see how quiet I could go. With presilencers the car never was over 89dB, now that the system in older it has come in as high as 93 at some events. For another data point when the Busch cars ran at Lime Rock a few years ago we measured then at 120dB.
There is no reason we could not be racing at 85 or 90dB. I would rather pay for mufflers and testing that to have to tow an additional 5 hours to race.
^^ This.